• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

lymes and xmrv and word getting out!

xrayspex

Good news, a govmt agency in midwest used this Lyme expert for a presentation and are circulating his info....please note the strong statements about xmrv!! (this is just an excerpt from a longer presentation focused mostly on lymes)

Joseph J. Burrascano Jr., M.D.
LYME DISEASE
The Nuts and Bolts.

*Ticks may carry DOZENS of potential pathogens- NATURE’S DIRTY NEEDLE!
*One tick bite can result in simultaneous co-infections by different germs
*Spirochetes (Lyme)
*Parasites (Babesia)
*Bacteria (Ehrlichia, Anaplasma)
*Mycoplasmas (Gulf-War and Chronic Fatigue germs)
*Viruses (T.B.E., West Nile Virus)
*Worms (nematodes)?
XMRV- A New Retrovirus- Is This Another Co-Infection?
*Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) was first isolated from prostate cancer patients

*Dr. Judy Mikovits looked for XMRV in CFIDS patients. She found it in only 3.7% of healthy controls but 95% of CFIDS cases were antibody positive and 68% were PCR-positive. Overall, 98% tested positive!
*Recently, the FDA has independently confirmed this study
*She and collaborating clinicians also found XMRV in Lyme, fibromyalgia, atypical MS and autism
*This is a retrovirus (as is HIV) and theoretically can cause or add to many symptoms and immune defects as seen in these illnesses, as well as in Lyme
*Three avenues of treatment are being studied:
*Anti-retroviral agents, as used in HIV
*Artesunate
*Antiviral herbs

Stone

Which government agency? Is there a link to this or did I miss it as I'm so prone to do?

Wonko

my understanding is the FDA has confirmed nothing - it's rumoured they will but atm nada, nothing, zero, zilch

please tell me I'm wrong and missed it

Rrrr

the lecturer (a well respected lyme doc, who i saw lecture once), is mis-stating the situation: the FDA has not confirmed anything. there was a LEAKED slideshow by dr alter, which says his NIH/FDA paper would confirm the original science paper. but that paper was pulled from publication. we are all waiting for it to be published. we hope. we hope.

xrayspex

oh this wasn't a medical agency, but a dnr inner training for staff that a friend shared with me, no public link

JT1024

Rrrrr.... I am wondering why you are stating that the FDA has "not confirmed anything".

I've seen Dr. Alter's slideshow. It was very clear in his presentation. Perhaps you know something others do not?

I know you had interviewed Dr. Coffin a while back. He is a major player (don't remember his "official title") with PNAS, the journal that has yet to publish the NIH/FDA data. Have you been in contact with him recently?

Of all people, I would think you would be most forthcoming with anything regarding the PNAS publication info.

My time online is limited so if I cannot respond quickly to any response, please forgive me!

I look forward to your response! ~ JT

xrayspex

its fascinating to me though that even though like you said its not technically a confirmed study (alters) it has been now presented to a group of people like it is who may not have known anything about the whole drama like us to start with.....I don't mind these kind of mistakes, gets the info we need, the right info, out there....

Bob

Rrrrr.... I am wondering why you are stating that the FDA has "not confirmed anything".

I've seen Dr. Alter's slideshow. It was very clear in his presentation. Perhaps you know something others do not?

I know you had interviewed Dr. Coffin a while back. He is a major player (don't remember his "official title") with PNAS, the journal that has yet to publish the NIH/FDA data. Have you been in contact with him recently?

Of all people, I would think you would be most forthcoming with anything regarding the PNAS publication info.

My time online is limited so if I cannot respond quickly to any response, please forgive me!

I look forward to your response! ~ JT

Hi JT, The FDA, as an organisation, has not officially confirmed Dr Alter's results, and they won't do so until the paper is published, and even then it's possible that they might, as an organisation, distance themselves from his results, pending further studies. I'm guessing that Dr Alter was giving his lecture about his own research, rather than stating the FDA's official position on XMRV. But, yes, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that Dr Alter's results confirmed the WPI's Science paper findings.