• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suspense. Any news on WHEN the NIH/FDA study might come out?

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Can someone jog my memory or does anyone know - what disease criteria the Alter/Lo paper might have used? It wasn't the CCC definition, surely?

(I know, stop calling you Shirley)

LJS

Luke
From the XMRV buzz page: http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVBuzz.aspx
Alter Buzz - the Buzz around town is that the Alter paper is coming out this week and that it will completely confirm the WPI's findings and go further. That, in fact, is what we would expect - each paper should build on the other ones and go further. If the Buzz is correct the blockbuster paper will come out on Tues. Don't be surprised if you see articles in the media appearing the same day.
We keep hearing dates thrown around, where did this information come from? Dr. Alter's brother-in-law's friend's dog walker's former roommate? Every week we here that is it coming out this Tuesday, I hope this latest information is true. The only thing concrete so far seems to be the statement from the WPI that it will be out in September.

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Hi LJS -

Comment #169 by John Leslie on the 'Mikovits Interview States FDA will Confirm WPI Findings in September publication' thread reads:

"According to my Washington contact, the Lo/Alter paper will be released tomorrow and published on Tuesday. The paper will confirm that XMRV and its variants (human MLV-related viruses) are associated with CFS and are also present in the blood of healthy controls. The WPI "will be completely" vindicated (including the variants disclosed by WPI in support of the Science paper) and the negative studies are likely the result of the non-use of the Lombardi primer sets or or other equally sensitive tests. The study apparently blows away the "contamination" argument, finds the retroviruses in over 85% of the CFS patients, and almost 7% of the controls. Maybe someone can get an advance copy on Monday or early Tuesday. "

I hope he doesn't mind me copying it here.

Sunshine

I hope you're correct V99! Once it's out, who else is going to write to their relatives or friends (past friends) with the news enclosing a print out of the paper/website clips?

Finally the raw truth awaits society who have mocked us for so long....... how will they react?
I can't imagine there is any evidence of person to person transmission of XMRV, so I hope the people we do tell are accepting, not that I care any longer though.

A new found confidence awaits us all.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Tomorrow, it's Christmas morning for the CFS community.

You better believe I'll be spamming facebook, my other online communities, and every living soul in my Gmail with links. Hope we get some really good headlines.

Can someone jog my memory or does anyone know - what disease criteria the Alter/Lo paper might have used? It wasn't the CCC definition, surely?

(I know, stop calling you Shirley)

The patients were provided by MDs, therefore highly likely to be real CFS patients. I don't know who, but I would guess based on geography that it was Bell and/or Komaroff. If Komaroff (he is a real gentleman) was involved he probably wouldn't throw the CDC completely under the bus. "Good politics (ignore CDC and pat on the head)" equals "Save Grants".

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I was thinking that 85% is an astoundingly high percentage - if cohort selection was loosey-goosey, it would be especially jaw-dropping. But glad to know it's jaw-dropping for the right reasons.

Sunshine

Yes my thoughts exactly. 85% hit rate without the virus reservoir known.

There will be other methods found to detect XMRV in humans, (e.g. CSF fluid) which also would up the abilty to detect XMRV.

Looks like we will soon have an FDA approved diagnostic test for patients (via the WPI) with XMRV induced neuro immune disease at last, who were told they have CFS.

If FDA could do this via october, then the FDA would have effectively (by proxy) 'made' an approved XMRV test within 12 months of the SCIENCE paper.

As we have been kindly informed look for changes to the VIPDX website very soon with upgraded XMRV tests, whose new home will become the WPI.

Hopefully, this all links in with the FDA paper.

VIP Dx has also recently entered into an agreement to be acquired by the Whittemore Peterson Institute, and become an integral part of the Institute. The clinical laboratory will continue to operate under the name VIP Dx, until it moves to the University of Nevada's Center for Molecular Medicine in August 2010. At that time, the lab will operate within the Institute under the name Unevx, providing services and revenue to the Institute in a manner similar to other institutional clinical reference laboratories.

Robyn

From the XMRV buzz page: http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVBuzz.aspx

We keep hearing dates thrown around, where did this information come from? Dr. Alter's brother-in-law's friend's dog walker's former roommate? Every week we here that is it coming out this Tuesday, I hope this latest information is true. The only thing concrete so far seems to be the statement from the WPI that it will be out in September.

Well let's see if you still need to ask these questions after tomorrow.