• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jason's Latest Paper on the Reeves / Empiric Criteria: Use of SF-36 Subsets

Dolphin

Do we know of any other Psychologist who is on our side? Is LJ actually the only psychologist in the United States (if not the world) who produces research supporting us?

If so, that's a chilling testimony to the profession.
I've come across sympathetic psychologists in my reading. Ellen Goudsmit is one who comes to mind (even if we don't see eye-to-eye on everything and have had a few tiffs in our time).

Both LJ and EG are both patients as well of course.

I think I've come across more sympathetic psychologists than psychiatrists: in case anyone doesn't know the different, a psychiatrist is somebody who is a qualified doctor (has a medical degree) who then goes on to do exams to be qualified as a psychiatrist. A psychologist doesn't have a medical degree (unless they do!).

oceanblue

I've come across sympathetic psychologists in my reading.

Both LJ and EG are both patients as well of course.

I think I've come across more sympathetic psychologists than psychiatrists: .

Wow, does Lenny Jason have CFS - how does he hold down that day job!? I'm even more impressed.

ukxmrv

Another good one

Eleanor Stein, MD, FRCP(C), "Assessment and Treatment of Patients with ME/CFS: Clinical Guidelines for Psychiatrists"

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Thanks for the Dr Jason interview link.

I think I've come across more sympathetic psychologists than psychiatrists: in case anyone doesn't know the different, a psychiatrist is somebody who is a qualified doctor (has a medical degree) who then goes on to do exams to be qualified as a psychiatrist. A psychologist doesn't have a medical degree (unless they do!).

I would actually say that a psychiatrist is a medical practitioner (can prescribe drugs), whereas a psychologist is a real doctor (since they require scientific qualifications) in the doctorate sense (to research and teach). ;)

Dolphin

I would actually say that a psychiatrist is a medical practitioner (can prescribe drugs), whereas a psychologist is a real doctor (since they require scientific qualifications) in the doctorate sense (to research and teach). ;)
Certainly in Ireland, lots (probably most) psychologists don't have Ph.Ds. Possibly/probably most who research and teach do, I don't know.

floydguy

In practice they're not much different: both full of crap. Both should be avoided and not given any positive reinforcement.