• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Co EnzymeQ-10 for the Repair of Cell Mitochondria

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I take E, C and many things. LOVE Lipoic Acid Supreme, critical for me. It is always good to have a doctor that knows about supplements. I have a great one. Best doses and brands for me.

Michael Dessin

Sally--For some reason my last comments appeared after yours. Anyways I agree, dosing is very important and starting with tiny amounts as you have. Many patients cant tolerate even the smallest doses but looks like you are doing very well!!

The big problem is if you lift alot of toxins with ALA and have a methylation block, the toxins have no where to go and make the pateint very sick...at that point, the toxic overload is very hard to reverse and can leave the patient very ill, so everyone should use caution. Tnx

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Yes, people are all different for sure. It is such an amazing thing for me and lots of people that have nerve problems. My POTS is because of the peripheral nerves near the blood vessles and muscles. They had neuropathy, quickly getting better with the Lipoic Acid Supreme.

My integrative MD told me it could take a month for my feet to feel better. They were tingly, some pain starting, felt so odd.....I was so scared. I had read that is just gets worse.....The Lipoic Acid Supreme worked in three weeks. AMAZING. My POTS is improving too. I would never go without it. Such an wonderful antioxident for the nerve cells since it can go into fatty and water tissue. It has Biotin and taurine. They work together. Good for so many problems and even the skin.

I don't take supplements unless my doctors help with them. It makes me sick that doctors rarely know anything about safe ways to heal.

Works best for me to have my doctors tell me the exact amount I need, time of day and brands. Blood testing every few months.

Everyone is different. Just my experience.

flower.jpg

Mark

Co-Q10 was part of my supplement package during my year of treatment according to Dr Myhill's protocol. Against advice, I tried tinkering slightly by adding them all one by one, so I could get a sense of which ones had the most beneficial effects, and balance them myself in the longer term - I didn't want to end up on the whole expensive package for life. CoQ10, and even more so B12, seemed the most significant for me.

Anyway, I would echo what others have said about the methylation block, that the variability in response is because different people have different blocks and different deficiencies and so some people can absorb it, others can't, some can tolerate or excrete the toxins released, and others really, really can't, big time.

So my answer, to what's been said, is that while you might get some results by trying B12, or CoQ10, or omega-3 oils, or whatever, really I suspect what you need is a physician who knows what they're doing (and hasn't been struck off for it), as much testing as you can reasonably afford to identify your individual pattern of deficiencies, and then a supplementation programme that's tailored to your individual needs in quite a detailed way.

It's always sad to hear "I tried CoQ10 and it did nothing for me", because it just seems so likely to me that it's just one part of the puzzle, which is an individual thing and has to be treated as such - which seems to be what all the physicians who treat using CoQ10 amongst other supplements are saying.

richvank

Co-Q10 was part of my supplement package during my year of treatment according to Dr Myhill's protocol. Against advice, I tried tinkering slightly by adding them all one by one, so I could get a sense of which ones had the most beneficial effects, and balance them myself in the longer term - I didn't want to end up on the whole expensive package for life. CoQ10, and even more so B12, seemed the most significant for me.

Anyway, I would echo what others have said about the methylation block, that the variability in response is because different people have different blocks and different deficiencies and so some people can absorb it, others can't, some can tolerate or excrete the toxins released, and others really, really can't, big time.

So my answer, to what's been said, is that while you might get some results by trying B12, or CoQ10, or omega-3 oils, or whatever, really I suspect what you need is a physician who knows what they're doing (and hasn't been struck off for it), as much testing as you can reasonably afford to identify your individual pattern of deficiencies, and then a supplementation programme that's tailored to your individual needs in quite a detailed way.

It's always sad to hear "I tried CoQ10 and it did nothing for me", because it just seems so likely to me that it's just one part of the puzzle, which is an individual thing and has to be treated as such - which seems to be what all the physicians who treat using CoQ10 amongst other supplements are saying.

Hi, Mark.

I think you are on the right track here. Supplements impact biochemistry. In biochemistry, there are pathways and cycles that involve a number of biochemical reactions catalyzed by enyzmes, which need vitamin and mineral cofactors and substrates on which to carry out the reactions. It really makes much more sense to find out which pathways or cycles are not working well, and then to give them all the support they need, nutritionally. If this isn't done, the typical response is that a person gets some benefit from a particular individual supplement for a while, until something else in the pathway or cycle becomes the limiting factor, and then they plateau.

It probably won't be a surprise that this is the approach that is used for the methylation treatments. They are designed to support the methylation cycle as a whole as well as its associated pathways. There are now several methylation protocols in use, and they are helping a lot of people. This seems to be reflected in the relatively high ranking for average effectiveness that these treatments have on the CureTogether.com site, which currently compares over 120 treatments and lifestyle changes for CFS. The methylation treatments are now running in 13th position. Those ahead of it are lifestyle changes, which are helpful, but do not address the root issue in the pathogenesis. The methylation treatments are running ahead of nearly all of the actual "treatments" that are listed there.

Best regards,

Rich