• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Butyrate reduces intestinal permeability

The author of the following post on LE, Kofi, is a genious in my eyes. Nobody knows more about intestinal permeability (leaky gut) or BBB disruption.

Does anyone know how to increase Butyrate? I read that fiber or resistant starch is a good way to go.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci....8333a?lnk=gst&q=kofi+barrier#28aa1babe368333a

This suggests that a number of AMPK activators - like calorie
restriction - could be useful for leaky gut conditions and it links
intestinal barrier function to an important longevity pathway. It puts
butyrate production in the gut from dietary fiber right in the middle of
a number of problems, including longevity research, cancer prevention,
insulin sensitivity, innate immunity and autoimmunity.
J Nutr. 2009 Sep;139(9):1619-25. Epub 2009 Jul 22.

Butyrate enhances the intestinal barrier by facilitating tight junction
assembly via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in Caco-2 cell
monolayers.
Peng L, Li ZR, Green RS, Holzman IR, Lin J.
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
10029-6574, USA.
Butyrate, one of the SCFA, promotes the development of the intestinal
barrier.
However, the molecular mechanisms underlying the butyrate
regulation of the intestinal barrier are unknown. To test the hypothesis
that the effect of butyrate on the intestinal barrier is mediated by the
regulation of the assembly of tight junctions involving the activation
of the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), we determined the effect of
butyrate on the intestinal barrier by measuring the transepithelial
electrical resistance (TER) and inulin permeability in a Caco-2 cell
monolayer model. We further used a calcium switch assay to study the
assembly of epithelial tight junctions and determined the effect of
butyrate on the assembly of epithelial tight junctions and AMPK
activity. We demonstrated that the butyrate treatment increased AMPK
activity and accelerated the assembly of tight junctions as shown by the
reorganization of tight junction proteins, as well as the development of
TER.
AMPK activity was also upregulated by butyrate during calcium
switch-induced tight junction assembly. Compound C, a specific AMPK
inhibitor, inhibited the butyrate-induced activation of AMPK. The
facilitating effect of butyrate on the increases in TER in standard
culture media, as well as after calcium switch, was abolished by
compound C. We conclude that butyrate enhances the intestinal barrier by
regulating the assembly of tight junctions. This dynamic process is
mediated by the activation of AMPK.
These results suggest an intriguing
link between SCFA and the intracellular energy sensor for the
development of the intestinal barrier.
PMID: 19625695

dannybex

Good catch Diesel...

I completely forgot about butyrate. One of many docs recommended it years ago for adrenal problems and also brain fog (which suggests I should buy a case or two!)...as it detoxifies ammonia levels, which can cause b-f.

Several companies make a calcium/magnesium butyrate supplement. A google search will turn up at least a half dozen.

d.

Rosemary

Hi Diesel,

Thanks so much for posting this information... I'm also very interested in butyrate...I've previously looked at ways at increasing butyrate levels to help my son with reducing his seizures...I'm certain that oat bran helps increase butyrate levels and butter is high in butyric acid

for your interest Dr Kane uses phenylbutyrate... further info below from a post by Kent Heckenlively discussing his daughters treatment [ Kent Heckenlively is Legal Editor of Age of Autism]

Dr. Kane has been using the short chain fatty acid, phenylbutyrate for the past 14 years for children with seizure disorders, post stroke, brain injury, and autism. She found that phenylbutyrate as a prescription or over the counter, burned off very long chain fatty acids, but without the complications of HBOT. Phenylbutyrate though must be used with balanced essential fatty acids and phosphatidylcholine to keep the cells healthy.

Children with seizures are more likely to have a buildup of very long chain fatty acids, but an exceptionally low amount of total lipid content within their cells, and thus HBOT treatment may increase their seizure activity. The high level of myelin marker DMAs (indicating brain inflammation) , elevation of very long chain fatty acids (also from brain and liver inflammation) with low essential fatty acid levels from my daughter’s test also explains the failure of her stem cell treatments last year. Her body didn’t have enough short chain fatty acids to provide the raw materials necessary for the stem cells to flourish.

In a similar vein, the ketogenic diet, which involves eating a great deal of fat, causes the body to burn off very long chain fatty acids forming lipid rafts or ceramides, but may not fully resolve the problem unless the essential fatty acids, phosphatidylcholine and butyrate are given. This may be why approximately one-third of the children who have success on the diet have their seizures reappear after stopping the diet. There is no need to use the severe restrictions of the ketogenic diet as Kane describes in another chapter of the book, "Food and Nutrients in Disease Management" on seizures. Kane has a diet called the Membrane Stabilizing Diet and can be found in the Detox Book for Patients.

keenly

yes indeed Butyrate seems to be an amazing supplement

However the calcium in most products can be an issue

bodybio do a great sodium/potassium one which is ideal for me as my sodium and potsassium are SUPER LOW!

helsbells

Thanks keenly that is a great heads up I have added that to favourites as next on the list to try :Retro smile:

helsbells

Thanks for this thread this has led me to read a little of the Kane stuff which is very interesting. I am already trying to persevere more with the EFAs so taking this and the phos col should be doable. :Retro smile: It was also interesting to read anecdotally somewhere that someone thought his daughters autism stem cell treatment coulod have failed because they hadn't done this and therefore one possibility was that she didn't have any fuel to use for re-generation. It is just difficlut as someone with severe MCS getting this stuff in when even something as simple as fatty acids can be a problem. So the non cal body bio product looks good - anyone recomend a brand of phos col?

anne_likes_red

Sara, I think there is a difference in the way different souces of butyrate behave in the gut. My understanding is that what's ideal in our case is the butyrate formed as a metabolite from certain fibre in the late stages of digestion - in the lower bowel (and butter is absorbed higher up). The ideal fermentation of the fibre is dependant on certain probiotics being present too.
Hope that makes sense!

AOR used to have a butyrate enema, but I cannot find it on their website and I don't remember it's name. E-mail them and ask about it. They also carried a probiotic called Probio 3 which I found to be the best probiotic for me in synergistic combination with L sporogenes which they also carry. One of the organisms in Probi 3 produces natural butyrate which is always the best way to go. You should do your own due diligence to verify this. If you try Probi 3 be sure to take it between meals, on an empty stomach. Hope this helps.
AOR's website is :
http://www.aor.ca/main.php

Enid

In case it aids anyone I've been on Butyric Acid and Quercetin (Bio Care Labs) for severe IBS and found relief over a couple of months now. Not cured but much relief.

The author of the following post on LE, Kofi, is a genious in my eyes. Nobody knows more about intestinal permeability (leaky gut) or BBB disruption.

Does anyone know how to increase Butyrate? I read that fiber or resistant starch is a good way to go.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.life-extension/browse_thread/thread/7afc8531645269d4/28aa1babe368333a?lnk=gst&q=kofi barrier#28aa1babe368333a

This suggests that a number of AMPK activators - like calorie
restriction - could be useful for leaky gut conditions and it links
intestinal barrier function to an important longevity pathway. It puts
butyrate production in the gut from dietary fiber right in the middle of
a number of problems, including longevity research, cancer prevention,
insulin sensitivity, innate immunity and autoimmunity.
J Nutr. 2009 Sep;139(9):1619-25. Epub 2009 Jul 22.

Butyrate enhances the intestinal barrier by facilitating tight junction
assembly via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in Caco-2 cell
monolayers.
Peng L, Li ZR, Green RS, Holzman IR, Lin J.
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
10029-6574, USA.
Butyrate, one of the SCFA, promotes the development of the intestinal
barrier.
However, the molecular mechanisms underlying the butyrate
regulation of the intestinal barrier are unknown. To test the hypothesis
that the effect of butyrate on the intestinal barrier is mediated by the
regulation of the assembly of tight junctions involving the activation
of the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), we determined the effect of
butyrate on the intestinal barrier by measuring the transepithelial
electrical resistance (TER) and inulin permeability in a Caco-2 cell
monolayer model. We further used a calcium switch assay to study the
assembly of epithelial tight junctions and determined the effect of
butyrate on the assembly of epithelial tight junctions and AMPK
activity. We demonstrated that the butyrate treatment increased AMPK
activity and accelerated the assembly of tight junctions as shown by the
reorganization of tight junction proteins, as well as the development of
TER.
AMPK activity was also upregulated by butyrate during calcium
switch-induced tight junction assembly. Compound C, a specific AMPK
inhibitor, inhibited the butyrate-induced activation of AMPK. The
facilitating effect of butyrate on the increases in TER in standard
culture media, as well as after calcium switch, was abolished by
compound C. We conclude that butyrate enhances the intestinal barrier by
regulating the assembly of tight junctions. This dynamic process is
mediated by the activation of AMPK.
These results suggest an intriguing
link between SCFA and the intracellular energy sensor for the
development of the intestinal barrier.
PMID: 19625695

I read that the resistant starch found in dark green un-ripe bananas feed the good bacteria in our gut that are responsible for making BUTYRIC acid in our gut. I use 1/2 of an organic dark green banana(peeled) and 3 tablespoons organic coconut milk, 3 tablespoons organic blueberries and a few drops of organic liquid stevia, put this in the blender and blend until smooth. I drink this 4-5 nights a week and it has improved the inflammation in my body tremendously and it improved my sleep and it cuts my sweet cravings the next day to a very low level. I've had juvenile diabetes for 40 years and this smoothie has helped with the pain from neuropathy in my feet, more than anything else. It has been extremely painful due to the nerve damage and inflammation I have. I drink it after dinner and when I get up in the morning I can always notice a huge difference in the pain in my feet but also in my hands and other inflammation in my body. I have even started to use the pureed fresh peeled green bananas in place of flour in recipes like sugar free brownies, and it has turned out great. So it's just another way to get the benefits of a resistant starch. Just make sure you cool the product before eating or you won't get the benefits of the resistant starches. I have also noticed that my digestion has improved since drinking these smoothies at night. I wake up in the morning feeling no bloat or heaviness in my stomach. Hope this helps someone out there looking to help with pain from inflammation. Incidentally if you have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, eating this smoothie or taking one 500 mg pill of sodium/potassium BUTYRIC acid pills, lowers my blood sugar overnight. So be careful if you take blood sugar lowering medications like metformin or insulin. You could have a very low blood sugar reaction in the morning. If my blood sugar is 150 before bed, say around 11pm, and the last thing I ate was at 6-7 pm at dinner, my blood sugar is usually about 50 when I wake up at 7am, from taking the BUTYRIC acid pill. If my blood sugar is 150 and I eat the green banana smoothie I mentioned above, then when I get up around 7am, my blood sugar would be around 80. You just have to experiment with the pills and/ or green bananas, to see what works best for you.

Last edited:

heyitisjustin

Is butter as potent as the pills?
I don't think it is, but you might feel better on it than on nothing (I did and that's how I found out about butyrate). My guess is you'd give yourself digestive disturbance consuming enough butter to get a high dose of butyrate (you'd also probably be too full to get vitamins/minerals from other foods). I'd assume that ghee is a bit more concentrated.

heyitisjustin

Sara, I think there is a difference in the way different souces of butyrate behave in the gut. My understanding is that what's ideal in our case is the butyrate formed as a metabolite from certain fibre in the late stages of digestion - in the lower bowel (and butter is absorbed higher up). The ideal fermentation of the fibre is dependant on certain probiotics being present too.
Hope that makes sense!

Just to clarify the butyrate in the butter and the butyrate formed from the fiber should be the same chemically (as far as I know). That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about where the butyrate is absorbed.