• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

1st International Workshop on XMRV 7-8 September 2010

Sam Carter

Scientific Committee

Norbert Bannert
Koch Institute, Germany

Bill Dahut
National Cancer Institute, USA

Rika Furuta
Japanese Red Cross Osaka Blood Center, Japan

Stephen Goff
Columbia University, USA

Walid Heneine
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, USA

Jerry Holmberg
US Dept HHS, Advisory Committee on Blood Safety, USA

Myra McClure
Imperial College London, UK

Judy Mikovits
Whittemore Peterson Institute, USA

Ila Singh
University of Utah, USA

Susan Vernon
CFIDS Association of America, USA

Sam Carter

Organizing Committee

Organizing Committee

Charles Boucher
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, Netherlands

John Coffin
Tufts University, USA

Stuart Le Grice

Robert Silverman
Cleveland Clinic, USA

Jonathan Stoye
National Institute for Medical Research, United Kingdom

Sam Carter

Invited Speakers

We proudly present the following list of confirmed speakers for the 1st International Workshop on XMRV:

Host restriction factors
Dr. Kate Bishop, NIMR London, UK

Viral integration
Dr. Sam Chow, UCLA, California, USA

Basic Virology
Dr. John Coffin, NCI Frederick, USA

Prostate Cancer
(keynote lecture) Dr. Eric Klein, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, USA

Animal Models
Dr. Robert Silverman, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, USA

Pathogenesis
Dr. Ila Singh, University of Utah, USA

Assay development
Dr. William Switzer, CDC Atlanta, USA
(emphasis added)

Chronic Fatique Syndrome ("Fatique" - their typo, not mine.)
Speaker soon to be confirmed

Vaccine Development
Speaker soon to be confirmed

jspotila

It looks like registration is not open to the public, only academia, pharma and NIH employees. Presentation material will be posted after the meeting, if the presenter agrees. Otherwise, no recordings, etc.

Edit - the above is based on the website; I have no other info on the conference

Sam Carter

Presentation material will be posted after the meeting, if the presenter agrees. Otherwise, no recordings, etc.

I saw that, Jennie. I really hope all the presentations are recorded and made available on the web. What we need just now is absolute transparency.

Sam Carter

Better still would be live-streaming of the event. This should be easy to arrange for the workshop organisers.

ME/CFS patients have waited long enough for biomedical scientists to take an interest in their disease. It is important that they get the chance to observe events as they happen.

redo

We proudly present the following list of confirmed speakers for the 1st International Workshop on XMRV:

Assay development
Dr. William Switzer, CDC Atlanta, USA
(emphasis added)

Hmmm. Why speak about assay development (development of tests to detect XMRV) if one doesn't believe that XMRV is a problem?

Like many can see, the person speaking about assay development is the same as the one who was responsible for the CDC study which came out pretty blank.

natasa778

Assay development
Dr. William Switzer, CDC Atlanta, USA (emphasis added)

you forgot to bold his colleague and co-author of the negative XMRV paper, also a member of the Scientific Committee for this workshop:

Walid Heneine

Walid Heneine

ATLANTA, GA US

1. 20100160420 NOVEL SIMIAN T-CELL LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUS - Disclosed are the simian T-cell lymphotropic virus type 3 subtype D isolated nucleic acid molecules encoding 06-24-2010
2. 20080292657 PRIMATE T-LYMPHOTROPIC VIRUSES - Disclosed are compositions and methods related to the isolation and identification of the primate T-lymphotropic 11-27-2008
3. 20080213756 Real-Time Pcr Point Mutation Assays For Detecting Hiv - 1 Resistance to Antiviral Drugs 09-04-2008

Looks like Wahlid has been a busy boy applying for these patents - why can't he find XMRV like other scientists??!!

usedtobeperkytina

as a news person, I think it would be very interesting if most of those attending got a thirty-minute flu during Bill's time and had to stay in their hotel rooms.

Tina

Megan

Scientific Committee

Norbert Bannert
Koch Institute, Germany

Bill Dahut

Rika Furuta
Japanese Red Cross Osaka Blood Center, Japan

Stephen Goff
Columbia University, USA

Walid Heneine

Jerry Holmberg
US Dept HHS, Advisory Committee on Blood Safety, USA

Myra McClure
Imperial College London, UK

Judy Mikovits
Whittemore Peterson Institute, USA

Ila Singh
University of Utah, USA

Susan Vernon
CFIDS Association of America, USA

Would love to be a fly on the wall at that committee meeting!! Lets hope they are a bit closer to resolution by then!

Drs Myra McClure and Judy Mikovits are on the Scientific Committee. Could be interesting...

Yes, this one is very interesting..... I think it was CBS who pointed out early in the CDC paper discussion that the CDC findings are not just negative for XMRV/CFS but negative for the existence of XMRV in the population period, including for prostate cancer. Yet Myra McClure has publicly admitted that she has now found XMRV in prostate cancer. Doesn't this leave her now at odds with the CDC too?

Megan

I wonder now if McClure leaked the prostate thing with more purpose in mind than it first appeared? ........this is getting curioser and curioser!

VillageLife

Does anyone who is XMRV positive, has CFS and lives in the United States, want to volunteer to attend this meeting ? (its a long shot) but perhaps they would agree to one sufferer attending the meeting, or even a period in the meeting where a sufferer could contribute, its always worth asking!!

I think its worth asking if you are XMRV positive, those organizing the meeting may feel it would be valuable.

jspotila

Does anyone who is XMRV positive, has CFS and lives in the United States, want to volunteer to attend this meeting ? (its a long shot) but perhaps they would agree to one sufferer attending the meeting, or even a period in the meeting where a sufferer could contribute, its always worth asking!!

I think its worth asking if you are XMRV positive, those organizing the meeting may feel it would be valuable.

There was talk at the last CFSAC meeting that some or all of the members might attend this workshop, but I don't know what the status of the idea is.