• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Comments on CDC XMRV study

V99

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

http://www.retrovirology.com/content/7/1/57/comments#414715

Use of Reeves criteria, inter alia, renders this study patently invalid

Justin Reilly (03 July 2010) _

Quote from paper:

The 1994 International CFS case definition and the Canadian Consensus Criteria are different and do not necessarily identify similar groups of ill persons. Most notably, the Canadian Criteria include multiple abnormal physical findings such as spatial instability, ataxia, muscle weakness and fasciculation, restless leg syndrome, and tender lymphadenopathy. The physical findings in persons meeting the Canadian definition may signal the presence of a neurologic condition
considered exclusionary for CFS and thus the XMRV positive persons in the Lombardi et
al. study may represent a clinical subset of patients [11].

The Canadian Criteria are the only valid definition of ME/CFIDS. The authors attempt to reframe "CFS" as tired people by using Reeves definition exclusively and saying that neurologic disease and signs are inconsistent with "CFS". And they approve of the Oxford definition used in the dutch study; incorrectly stating that the Dutch and UK studies were well characterized and WPI was not! They are explicitly insisting Oxford and Reeves definitions are valid and Canadian Consensus Criteria are invalid!

Reeves and Oxford definitions are patently invalid. Oxford defines tired people and Reeves defines low functioning people.

Heneine was the person who contributed the most error to the failed the CDC DeFreitas 'replication attempt'.

This study is totally incredible on its face for the above reasons and the fact that if Reeves and Heneine published findings different from what they did they would be acting directly against their personal interests.

Conversely, the fact that NIH (and to a lesser extent FDA) would be acting against their interests by publishing positive data showing a connection between ME/AIDS-X and XMRV makes the NIH/FDA study even more credible than it otherwise would be.

The study, in summary, is facially invalid.

Competing interests

Patient

Yet another definition used

Kelly Latta (04 July 2010) medical writer

The CDC paper enters yet another definition for CFS patients into the XMRV race.

The "revised" 1994 CDC definition, may be colloquially referring to the rarely used empiric definition, which refers to the 2005 paper published by Dr. William Reeves.

Lombardi et al, which originally found XMRV in CFS patients, used the original 1994 Fukada definition.

A key element that may be missing is severity. One of the cardinal CFS symptoms is post exertional malaise unrelieved by rest, not the result of ongoing exertion and last more than 24-hours as required by the 2003 Canadian Consensus definition.

Severity is of course what differentiates vague symptoms commonly found in the general population from pathological symptoms.

It should also be noted that only three of the 51 cases were apparently of acute onset which would be the most likely patients to show signs of viral infection. Unfortunately, none of the papers published thus far tell us what if any other viruses were also found in the patient cohort.

The Switzer paper also states, "...The physical findings in persons meeting the Canadian definition may signal the presence of a neurologic condition considered exclusionary for CFS..."

This a very confusing statement since the WHO classifies CFS in the ICD-10, along with myalgic encephalomyelitis and post viral fatigue syndrome, exclusively as a brain (neurological) disease under G93.3. This can be verified by checking the alphabetical index in the 2006 edition of the ICD-10 found on the WHO website.

Are they referring to yet another neurological disease other than ME/CFS?

References
Switzer, W. M. et al. Retrovirology doi: 10.1186/1742-4690-7-57 (2010).
Lombardi, V. C. et al. Science 326, 585-589 (2009)
Reeves, W.C BMC Med. doi: 10.1186/1741-7015-3-19 (2005).

Competing interests

None

pamb

Nice to see so many well thought out comments at Retrovirology. Thanks for sharing them.

This whole soap opera just has to be at least one more book in the making. It is so incredible if someone wrote it as fiction it would be laughed at as too far fetched.

Despite the delays I still feel more hope now than I have in a very long time. Bless the scientific community for not letting this go unnoticed. I hope Dr. DeFreitas and all the CFS Docs who have stood by their patients for so many years will soon enough be richly rewarded with a great big "I TOLD YOU SO"

natasa778

great job Justin and Kelly Latta, if you are reading :Retro smile: I hope more good comments get published

Nice to see so many well thought out comments at Retrovirology. Thanks for sharing them.

This whole soap opera just has to be at least one more book in the making. It is so incredible if someone wrote it as fiction it would be laughed at as too far fetched.

Despite the delays I still feel more hope now than I have in a very long time. Bless the scientific community for not letting this go unnoticed. I hope Dr. DeFreitas and all the CFS Docs who have stood by their patients for so many years will soon enough be richly rewarded with a great big "I TOLD YOU SO"

Just read 'And The Band Played On', a book about the history of AIDS in America, and you'll see the incredible mess AIDS research was early on, all the while people were dying in horrible ways. All the political crap that was going on, fights, denial, blaming game, resulting in years of unnecessaily delays and hundreds of thousand of people dying. I am reading this book right now and it is really interesting to see the parallels with what is going on XMRV-wise, though the times and situations are different, it still hints to me that we have seen NOTHING yet, and that as said in this book somewhere, the 'light at the end of the tunnel might well be an incoming train'.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Thank you Dolphin.

If anyone runs across Tom K., please thank him for shredding the CDC so precisely. :)