• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV Patent application Judy A. Mikovits Francis W. Ruscetti San

eric_s

Those patent applications are much too complicated for me to really understand but i would be interested in this: Is there some overlap between the 2?

I hope they won't start cannibalizing each other now, if they smell the money.

It would not stop progress, but it would not be nice.

CBS

Bullybeef,

No offense but if this is out there (and we know that it is to some degree), how else do you think they're going to find this in our brains? I'd rather that than a biopsy. Still, there are pathogens that hide out in brain tissue and don't readily circulate (toxoplasmosis). Don't think it's not there.

I'm wondering if the same methods would be used to look in prostate and lymphatic tissue.

CBS

I can hear the howls from the XMRV-Prostate Cancer Deniers now:

"Bob Silverman is Exploiting Prostate Cancer Patients! We must stop that unethical SOB!"

"The Cleveland Clinic is nothing but a front for it's greedy founders and their efforts to separate these vulnerable, desperate, naive patients from their money!*"

* Honest, we're just trying to protect you poor ignorant prostate cancer patients from yourselves.

bullybeef

Bullybeef,

No offense but if this is out there (and we know that it is to some degree), how else do you think they're going to find this in our brains? I'd rather that than a biopsy. Still, there are pathogens that hide out in brain tissue and don't readily circulate (toxoplasmosis). Don't think it's not there.

I'm wondering if the same methods would be used to look in prostate and lymphatic tissue.

Sorry, I should have explained my reaction CBS. I have recently wondered whether a spinal tap would show anything. I find it fascinating that in the future this diagnostic method could show our XMRV status.

CBS

Sorry, I should have explained my reaction CBS. I have recently wondered whether a spinal tap would show anything. I find it fascinating that in the future this diagnostic method could show our XMRV status.

Bullybeef,

I'm just having a little fun with this. I've suspected for a very long time that they would one day be looking in our brains. I've been arguing with doc over 'odd' MRI findings since 1995 (I'll spare you the details - feel free to PM). It's going to be interesting to watch and see what is found once they actually start looking.

Take good care and I do hope I didn't offend.

judderwocky

I can hear the howls from the XMRV-Prostate Cancer Deniers now:

"Bob Silverman is Exploiting Prostate Cancer Patients! We must stop that unethical SOB!"

"The Cleveland Clinic is nothing but a front for it's greedy founders and their efforts to separate these vulnerable, desperate, naive patients from their money!*"

* Honest, we're just trying to protect you poor ignorant prostate cancer patients from yourselves.

labs patent things all the time... if they had been at a university this would have probably been patented already... my guess is they had to work it out between three labs first ... and usually that thing is covered in the collaboration agreements between universities.....
*i think*

a patent shouldn't be considered suspicious

CBS

labs patent things all the time... if they had been at a university this would have probably been patented already... my guess is they had to work it out between three labs first ... and usually that thing is covered in the collaboration agreements between universities.....
*i think*

a patent shouldn't be considered suspicious

Apparently my attempts at satire are falling flat this morning. I'll stop.

Lynn

CBS,

I thought it was funny as well. Unfortunately I knew it would bring trouble from some who didn't get that it was a joke from their first reading.

Lynn

Lesley

I think that they needed to get the patent application filed before VIP Dx began offering the new test. Hopefully, now that the application has been filed, the testing should be available.

bullybeef

Bullybeef,

I'm just having a little fun with this. I've suspected for a very long time that they would one day be looking in our brains. I've been arguing with doc over 'odd' MRI findings since 1995 (I'll spare you the details - feel free to PM). It's going to be interesting to watch and see what is found once they actually start looking.

Take good care and I do hope I didn't offend.

Of course not, CBS, I took it in good humour....I wouldn't put it past Wessely, Reeves and Co to order brains biopsies on all of us, and send us away with a lobotomy free of charge so we don't sue!!!! :tear:

Navid

cbs: i got your satire, please don't stop it's very funny and we'll only cry if we can't laugh:D:D

SOC

"...the XMRV-related neuroimmune disease is selected from the group consisting of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), Niemann-Pick Type C Disease, fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and autism."
[my bolding]

:eek: and :eek::eek:

My FIL died of aggressive prostate cancer 25 (?) years ago. My MIL died of "atypical ALS" about a year before my daughter and I came down with ME/CFS. And we've got lymphoma on my side of the family......

:eek: [running off to hide under the blankets]

alex3619

Hi SickofCFS

I wouldn't read this as anything definite yet, its from the patent application, and may be more from suspicion or hypothesis than anything solid. They just want to cover all their options in the patent. On the other hand, should this be published as a definite finding later dont be surprised. It also gives us several more patient groups we should consider contacting.

Bye
Alex

[my bolding]

:eek: and :eek::eek:

My FIL died of aggressive prostate cancer 25 (?) years ago. My MIL died of "atypical ALS" about a year before my daughter and I came down with ME/CFS. And we've got lymphoma on my side of the family......

:eek: [running off to hide under the blankets]

SOC

Hi SickofCFS

I wouldn't read this as anything definite yet, its from the patent application, and may be more from suspicion or hypothesis than anything solid. They just want to cover all their options in the patent. On the other hand, should this be published as a definite finding later dont be surprised. It also gives us several more patient groups we should consider contacting.

Bye
Alex

I'm not, really. :D It's just my own little not-very-funny grim humor.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
I see why Einstein quit his job as a patent clerk. It was easier to figure out the fabric of the universe than to understand one of these applications.

natasa778

I see why Einstein quit his job as a patent clerk. It was easier to figure out the fabric of the universe than to understand one of these applications.

:tear::tear::tear:

he actually came up with his best stuff WHILE working as a patent clerk!! I guess he flexed his brain muscles so well by doing patent stuff that the Relativity theory was easy-peasy. It could have been his little Sudoku, a way of relaxing :D

usedtobeperkytina

Controversy, is there any controversy over the Prostate Cancer claims of linkage with XMRV. I mean, the association is in the 20-30% and is anyone claiming foul on the studies and claims afterward?

Or is it just us that have to deal with this mess? Same testing method, but much higher association.

Tina

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Controversy, is there any controversy over the Prostate Cancer claims of linkage with XMRV. I mean, the association is in the 20-30% and is anyone claiming foul on the studies and claims afterward?

Or is it just us that have to deal with this mess? Same testing method, but much higher association.

Tina

I agree Tina. It is double-standards pure and simple.

If you listen to Myra McClure's interview she did with Australian ABC radio, she proves the case for XMRV involvement in prostate cancer, and de facto proves the case for XMRV involvement in ME/CFS. All you have to do is replace one disease name with the other. The arguments apply verbatim. I suggest this is the reason why Myra McClure made a swift exit from CFS-research because effectively she painted herself ("I'm 10,000 percent confident") into a corner and was too proud/stubborn to back down.