• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV Patent application Judy A. Mikovits Francis W. Ruscetti San

pollycbr125

eric_s

Yes!!!

Go Judy A. Mikovits, Francis W. Ruscetti, Sandra K. Ruscetti, Robert H. Silverman, Eric A. Klein, Graham Casey, Joseph DeRisi, Don Ganem :D

While those other amateurs publish their zero study you get your patents and hopefully get rich. You deserve it :D

I hope it will be this way. Very interesting find. And on the same day as the Retrovirology study. Unbelievable. Not even on TV i've ever seen such a crazy story..

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I'm not familiar with the protocol and layout of patent applications. Curious language!

Presumably the trick is to try to spread the net for applicability of the patent as widely as possible, however the following excerpts caught my eye :

"[0065]12. A method in accordance with Aspect 11, wherein the XMRV-related neuroimmune disease is selected from the group consisting of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), Niemann-Pick Type C Disease, fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and autism."

"In additional embodiments, methods of the present teachings can further comprise selecting or modifying a treatment on the basis of the detection of antibody against XMRV in a sample from a subject. In various aspects, if antibody against XMRV is detected in the sample, the treatment can comprise administrating to the subject a therapeutically effective amount of an anti-viral compound. In some configurations, the antiviral compound can be, without limitation, a compound such as acyclovir, penciclovir (famciclovir), gancyclovir (ganciclovir), deoxyguanosine, foscarnet, idoxuridine, trifluorothymidine, vidarabine, sorivudine, zidovudine, didanosine, zalcitabine, lamivudine, stavudine, abacavir, multinucleoside resistance A, multinucleoside resistance B, nevirapine, delavirdine, efavirenz, adefovir dipivoxil, indinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, nelfinavir, amprenavir, deoxycytosine triphosphate, lamivudine triphosphate, emticitabine triphosphate, adefovir diphosphate, penciclovir triphosphate, lobucavir triphosphate, amantadine, rimantadine, zanamivir or oseltamivir."

eric_s

I'm not familiar with the protocol and layout of patent applications. Curious language!

Presumably the trick is to try to spread the net for applicability of the patent as widely as possible, however the following excerpts caught my eye :

"[0065]12. A method in accordance with Aspect 11, wherein the XMRV-related neuroimmune disease is selected from the group consisting of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), Niemann-Pick Type C Disease, fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and autism."

"In additional embodiments, methods of the present teachings can further comprise selecting or modifying a treatment on the basis of the detection of antibody against XMRV in a sample from a subject. In various aspects, if antibody against XMRV is detected in the sample, the treatment can comprise administrating to the subject a therapeutically effective amount of an anti-viral compound. In some configurations, the antiviral compound can be, without limitation, a compound such as acyclovir, penciclovir (famciclovir), gancyclovir (ganciclovir), deoxyguanosine, foscarnet, idoxuridine, trifluorothymidine, vidarabine, sorivudine, zidovudine, didanosine, zalcitabine, lamivudine, stavudine, abacavir, multinucleoside resistance A, multinucleoside resistance B, nevirapine, delavirdine, efavirenz, adefovir dipivoxil, indinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, nelfinavir, amprenavir, deoxycytosine triphosphate, lamivudine triphosphate, emticitabine triphosphate, adefovir diphosphate, penciclovir triphosphate, lobucavir triphosphate, amantadine, rimantadine, zanamivir or oseltamivir."

Yes, one would assume that. But then on the other hand the law will of course not let you do that without any limit. I don't think i'm fully able to understand this text, as it's about 28 degrees in this room and it's in english and this is a very specific area of law. But the lawyers from "Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP" (i hope they didn't write this on sabbath :D) should know what they are doing.
If i understand this correctly then their patent would comprise the treatment of someone who has been found XMRV positive through the detection of antibodies to XMRV. It's hard to believe this can be patented :eek:?

Well, whatever, all i care for is that they really have a working method of detecting an XMRV infection. And trying to have it patented seems to indicate that. And if they have such a method they should by now know if the association between XMRV and CFS is true. That they still stick to that association is a good sign then.

This could explain why no new papers have been coming out. They don't want to give away too much before having their methods patented, so that they will be tho ones who profit.
And they really deserve it, if they are right about all of this.

I can't resist: Don't worry little ERV, aunt Judy will buy you some chewing gum and candy from the mad money she will be making. Hahahaha :D

anciendaze

As said above, patent applications are an entirely different literary art form from scientific papers. Also, an application rarely goes through without modification. Even if it is granted, the patent office is not guaranteeing it will work. There are large collections of issued patents which are good for laughs, and little else.

This does tell us a great deal about intent. Patent attorneys would not have inserted references to specific illnesses where this might apply if their scientific sources had not suggested these.

Note for eric_s: their sabbath did not begin until sundown, which is after business hours.

shannah

These both appear to be tests to detect XMRV (per post 1 & post 8) but what is the difference between them?

Patent application title: SEROCONVERSION ASSAYS FOR DETECTING XENOTROPIC MURINE LEUKEMIA VIRUS-RELATED VIRUS

Inventors: Judy A. Mikovits Francis W. Ruscetti Sandra K. Ruscetti
Agents: SONNENSCHEIN NATH & ROSENTHAL LLP

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100167268#ixzz0shuVW3kI

Publication date: 07/01/2010

how ironic its the same date the CDC declared they could not find evidence of xmrv in cfs patients ;)

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100167268

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a different site:

METHOD FOR DETECTION OF XMRV

SILVERMAN, ROBERT, H, ; KLEIN, ERIC, A, ; WEIGHT, CHRISTOPHER, J, ; NGUYEN, CARVELL, T, ; GUPTA, JAYDIP, DAS

Publication date: 2010-07-01

http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationD...75414A2&KC=A2#

eric_s

These both appear to be tests to detect XMRV (per post 1 & post 8) but what is the difference between them?
The "Mikovits team"'s method of detecting an XMRV infection seems to be to look for antibodies to XMRV while the "Silverman team"'s method uses PCR to look for XMRV's DNA.

Edit: In the application by Silverman they talk about detecting an XMRV infection by looking for antibodes too, i think.

CBS

My VERY quick once over says:

Silverman - used to detect XMRV in tissue (eg. prostate tissue), blood or serum

Mikonits - blood, serum, plasma, spinal fluid