• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC XMRV Retrovirology Study on CFS Published

Greggory Blundell

bullybeef, why? I mean I understand the need, the urgency. But would there be a govt body that would mandate that? Give the FDA no recourse but to embrace that course? I appreciate the ethics. My concern is the requisite impartial infrastructure that would make it happen.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Hey Chris where did you hear that the NIH is testing the CDC's stuff??? I don't think they can if the blood was tubed in heprin then it's no good for pulling DNA. But I could be totally wrong about that.

I'm thinking that the blah, blah, blah about why the NIH study hasn't been released is pure poo. Just another blue jackass so to speak, HHS is just stallin' for all they are worth. (grins)

George,

As I read Dr. Vernon's analysis (post 177, I think) sodium heparin viles were used by Lombardi, et al, but not by (at least some of) the CDC cohorts. What study is complete without multiple cohorts?

In response to Chris - while I agree a positive paper needs to meet exacting standards (I've given up on that notion with negative ones) - getting drawn into a protracted "run this test on the (garbage) CDC samples" game is dangerous. At best it takes more time. At worst is leaves nagging suspicion of tampering and the very real possibility that such gamesmanship will drag on indefinitely.

Can't support the idea.

Let our paper go.

Otis

bullybeef

You would like to believe the PTB (FDA?) should have been looking into this course of action whilst waiting for the peer review (which seems to have been a complete waste of time now)!! Saying that, wouldn't it be interesting to know when the FDA/NIH study was submitted?

boomer

I do not think there is going to be panic. Gosh, the information has been floating around the public for a long time. I periodically post to the cbc web site health page so that they know what is coming and to raise awareness to the need of our government to provide more funding. For example, I posted this on the cbc web site health page tonight. No one has ever expressed worry or panic.
Bravo Stay Tuned I agree with you. A percentage of the money going outside this country should be kept in Canada to look after those with chronic illnesses that are so horrendously neglected and in pain. Those who do not have a life and are not really alive because of chronic fatigue syndrome should stop being neglected by government and research should be funded.

The Centre for Disease Control (CDC) has been holding onto 12 research papers showing a connection between xmrv and chronic fatigue syndrome. There is a huge fight going on right now. Once these get published and the CDC stops holding onto papers that should be shared with other scientists around the world there will hopefully be funding to test for xmrv and at least doctors will be taught the symptoms. There may be new insight into other chronic illnesses and xmrv coming in the future too.

Levi

More unpublished papers?

And your source for this statement is?

The Centre for Disease Control (CDC) has been holding onto 12 research papers showing a connection between xmrv and chronic fatigue syndrome. There is a huge fight going on right now.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
There's two from WPI that haven't been published, there are the two referenced by the Ruscetti's, There are three at least from Cold Harbor springs about XMRV in general, one's about the envelope, another about prostate cancer and one about Macrophanges(?). That's 7 that I can think of off the top of my head.

Have you seen any of them published anywhere??????(hopeful doggy eyes???)

boomer

Are there 12 reports or studies done? What do you call the 12 documents I have heard referred to on this site?

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Boomer,

There has been mention of many papers that are being held up. 12 has come up as the number a couple times.

I'm pretty sure George mentioned 12 according to various sources. This isn't ironclad, I suppose it's hearsay, but most of the hearsay around this story seems to be pretty well backed up.

VillageLife

WHY,
Why was DR ALTER aloud to speak at the blood conference last month if his paper was so in doubt, his slides were shown. The whole thing confuses me the more I think about it.

bullybeef

Can I ask you guys in the States, why do you believe the WSJ is running with this story, and why are they the only one? The fact they are privy to the leaked FDA/NIH study, means they could possibly be our joker in the pack! Especially if Alter does change his paper.

I quick XMRV search and I've discovered a new word: Malfeasance - and I kinda like what it implies!!

judderwocky

Can I ask you guys in the States, why do you believe the WSJ is running with this story, and why are they the only one? The fact they are privy to the leaked FDA/NIH study, means they could possibly be our joker in the pack! Especially if Alter does change his paper.

I quick XMRV search and I've discovered a new word: Malfeasance - and I kinda like what it implies!!

I think they got the leaked study... like we all did... I have a copy of his presentation on my computer.... i think not too many people care about cfs ... hence little coverage... :(

Hope123

I have one word for you: MONEY. The WSJ is known for business reporting but in order to do that well and know which way the wind is blowing before everyone else, they will dig, dig, dig for stories. Where there is potential money to be made or lost, financial reporters will follow.

[Note that in the case of Ampligen, attentive CFS research followers have received news of this not through the scientific press but through the financial press as of late.]

Sing

There's two from WPI that haven't been published, there are the two referenced by the Ruscetti's, There are three at least from Cold Harbor springs about XMRV in general, one's about the envelope, another about prostate cancer and one about Macrophanges(?). That's 7 that I can think of off the top of my head.

Have you seen any of them published anywhere??????(hopeful doggy eyes???)

Minor correction: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is the name of the place where there have been conferences and scientists working on aspects of XMRV. I jut got their latest newsletter, which is vey superficial. Nothing there on XMRV. I think it would take an insider to tell us what is going on.