• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC XMRV Retrovirology Study on CFS Published

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I think Dr. Vernon's rebuttal to the study gives us really good grounds for a concentrated public response to the CDC's study and to the DHHS. (Its the DHHS that is stopping the Alter paper). I'm not worried about the cohorts - I don't think t hey can explain zero results - particularly when you have a 3-4% background level in the healthy population....but those test tubes.....that's really something! That's a study with big problems.......Its sounds like, crummy cohorts aside, they never should have used that blood.

muffin

So again, we need to hit the DHHS NOW to get them to release those studies by the FDA and NIH without interferance by the government to cover their butts.

DOES ANYONE HAVE SEBELIUS' EMAIL?????? CAN NOT FIND IT AND HAVE SEARCHED LIKE CRAZY!

Levi

When the upcoming DHHS XMRV assay comparability study is finalized, blood collection tubes containing sodium heparin that are intended for use with virus isolation will be strictly forbidden in all research intended for publication. We are laying it all out for them.

There is a much simpler explanation. The WPI used blood collection tubes containing sodium heparin that are intended for use with virus isolation, the CDC did not. Please see post 177.

dsdmom

I have to ask a weird question... does the DHHS not think that we can handle a health crisis right now? DHHS is headed by obama picks... they're doing the same thing to us that reagan did with aids.... with all the changes and controversy over the new health care overhaul... has someone simply decided covering us will be too much of a burden? is this too much for the new healthcare system to absorb all at once??? do they think they're gonna string this along for a few more years until they can afford to deal with it?

Scary thought. I'd like to think that George is right and the gov't just needs to get its ducks in a row before they make an announcement but history has shown nothing is that neat or simple.

muffin

KDENERIS: Thank you so much.

NOW: It is time for us to hit Sebelius with emails demanding that science goes forward for the good of the nation.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: EMAIL SEBELIUS NOW. NOW!!!

muffin

When the upcoming XMRV assay comparability study is finalized, blood collection tubes containing sodium heparin that are intended for use with virus isolation will be strictly forbidden in all research intended for publication. We are laying it all out for them.

WHAT DOES THE ABOVE MEAN??? What is wrong with the sodium Hep in the collection tubes????

Greggory Blundell

It's a dicey domain, and I am no lawyer, but it would appear to many casual bystanders, IMHO, that at the heart of this matter with the ongoing CDC posturing relative to CFS, and specifically, this newest study they've generated, is NOT merely bad science...It could be something much more deliberate, and the issue then becomes, how do we communicate that very real concern to vested interests outside CDC chambers.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
It's really an old study Greggory.

if what you are saying is true... how are they going to pay for it? cost has got to be an issue. think of alll the recent controversy over health.

Hey Judderwocky, I understand what you're saying, where are they going to get money to train the doctors, print information, get the blood supply problem worked out and set up clinics to work with patients. I really think that you are right they are stalling for time and money. It's a horrible roller coaster for us as patients, we know we're on the right track so 9 months later let's have a birth of a new era. (Instead we seem to have birthed a cow, grins)

Cort, Dr. Vernon did a fantastic job with her quick response and she defiantly will not allow the XMRV research to die on the vine. I hope folks remember in all the e-mailing to send Dr. Vernon, and our own jspotila a thank you. Anytime there is controversy JSpot is on the spot for us. Thanks Jenny from a huge admirer, me!

CBS

Thanks CAA!

Cort, Dr. Vernon did a fantastic job with her quick response and she defiantly will not allow the XMRV research to die on the vine. I hope folks remember in all the e-mailing to send Dr. Vernon, and our own jspotila a thank you. Anytime there is controversy JSpot is on the spot for us. Thanks Jenny from a huge admirer, me!

Thanks Dr. Vernon!

Thanks Jennie!

dsdmom

I emailed Sebalius...I doubt she reads her emails though. Bet this mailbox gets super full and is skimmed over. But maybe if there are enough emails with the subject "XMRV Study" someone will take notice.

paddygirl

$$$$$

I was watching UK tv tonight and saw that the cost for the Swine Flu vaccine in the UK was in excess of 1.2 BILLION. (GBP?)

Reminds me of an episode of Dads Army, where the wrong suspect is watched for days on end, while the real baddie is wreaking havoc. A farce indeed.

Levi

Well,

Using the sodium hep could affect consensus, which will be the prime directive of the DHHS XMRV assay comparibility study. The need for consensus has already been clearly expressed by the powers that be in DHHS. So future researchers will need to employ the same methods and protocols used by the published studies that could not find XMRV in anybody.

Note that the WPI is being expressly excluded from this DHHS comparibility study.

WHAT DOES THE ABOVE MEAN??? What is wrong with the sodium Hep in the collection tubes????

V99

It's one thing for a study to use well characterised patients and appropriate testing methods to argue against the 'Science' paper, it is a disgrace for a Government organisation to produce twaddle like this.

Thank you Dr. Vernon for stating why the CDC cannot find XMRV full stop.

VillageLife

So the explanation for not finding XMRV in these samples is simple this was a study designed to not detect XMRV using a hodge-podge sample set.~Dr. Vernon:victory::victory::victory:

Greggory Blundell

George, as always, your points are well taken. Assuming there was nothing untoward in the study process itself way back when, I would hope that being leading researchers they would know their results are now outdated and cannot withstand scrutiny. So why in the interest of good science publish outdated findings that may mislead? I'm just saying.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch

George, as always, your points are well taken. Assuming there was nothing untoward in the study process itself way back when, I would hope that being leading researchers they would know their results are now outdated and cannot withstand scrutiny. So why in the interest of good science publish outdated findings that may mislead? I'm just saying.

Hey Greggory - the study process was really poorly designed, and executed on purpose. Dr. Reeves who designed and wrote the paper has been removed from his position as head of CFS and replaced with Dr. Unger back in February. This study was sent out in March. And nothing happened to it until July 1st when it was accepted and published all in one day.

So the 64 million dollar question is why publish a rubbish study by a guy who has been replaced on the eve of major positive papers being released?

That's what we are all here beating our heads against the wall until they are bloody, trying to figure out. (Medic, someone call a medic, grins)