• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nystatin - Herxing or what? HELP!!!!

Nystatin works for some but I have not used it yet even though my doc gave me a prescription for 500,000 units, 3 times a day for a month because the die off would literally kill me....
Have you considered using activated charcoal, 30-45 minutes after an antifungal to soak up the toxins being released? This if often extremely helpful in mitigating detox reactions.

My situation is that i am extremely ill and recently I have pinpointed it to candida. Quite actually unbelievable and i still have a hard time believing that it can cause my body to not be able to even walk a few feet or take care of myself at such a young age but ever since discovering the concept of toxic buildup in the body and detoxification, it is much more clearer now. The stage that I am currently at is treatment, the vicious cycle described above as well as many others I'm sure. I am looking to optimize my liver and organs through vitamins and genetics testing in ANY way possible and also double teaming this matter with TCM herbals. If it will work, who knows.
Getting the bowels moving daily and your first morning urine pH is in range can really assist with tolerance for detox as well. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, if the bowels are not moving daily, no progress can be made. Some things that can assist are oxypowder, aloe vera juice, high fiber foods, taurine, vitamin C, magnesium, or whatever you know works for you. Once this is established, it's appropriate to address the liver/kidney function. Liver Life and fresh squeezed lemons are great for this. You can test your first morning urine pH to see if you are draining acids efficiently, it should be acidic at 5.5-6.2. Once the bowels are moving daily, liver/kidney function is optmized and acids are draining efficiently, adding in detox agents will be much better tolerated as the organs of elimination are open and ready to filter the toxins efficiently. Aggravations during detox mean that you are getting rid of more toxins than the organs can comfortably excrete. So you optimize their function and start detox agents at a low dose ramping up as tolerated. And if you do give too high a dose and experience detox reactions, activated charcoal is an amazing way to mitigate the detox reactions. It soaks up those excess acids that are released.

Hope this helps.
TamiW

I also have a huge problem with systemic Candida, and I can tell you now that being on a yahoo group for people using LDN, that many experience an increase in their candida problems when they go on LDN. I have stopped the LDN at times and fought off the Candida with diet and herbs and then gone back on LDN and felt better. In my opinion its essential to get the Candida under the best control possible for LDN to do its job and not cause more problems. I did experience good pain relief with LDN and I did find that Candida was causing a lot of my fatigue problems. If you can do the specific carbohydrate diet along with the LDN and I took NOW Candida Clear or you could take other herbals for Candida on a daily basis once you get the worst of it under control, you can keep it from getting out of control again. I dont think there will be lasting relief from Candida as long as our immune systems are out of whack and LDN is supposed to help regulate the immune system.

There are also a lot of people finding that their livers do not clear LDN as well as others and need to take a smaller dose for it to clear in the recommended time and get the endorphin energy and pain relief. I am on these two groups and found that I can only take 1.5 mg every other day, but that doesnt mean it wont work for a person just because they are not on 4.5, just as different people can tolerate different doses of antidepressants and other meds so it is the same for LDN. Hope this helps.

LDNforFibro@yahoogroups.com

Any_Other_Dose_LDN@yahoogroups.com

Please see below.

Have you considered using activated charcoal, 30-45 minutes after an antifungal to soak up the toxins being released? This if often extremely helpful in mitigating detox reactions.

I have tried activated charcoal but maybe im not taking enough. i always take it 30-45 minutes and it helps minimally. I take 250mg. However the antifungal I am currently on is by NOW foods Candida Clear. Charcoal also does constipate me so i'd rather have my bowels moving than take too much.

Getting the bowels moving daily and your first morning urine pH is in range can really assist with tolerance for detox as well. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, if the bowels are not moving daily, no progress can be made. Some things that can assist are oxypowder, aloe vera juice, high fiber foods, taurine, vitamin C, magnesium, or whatever you know works for you. Once this is established, it's appropriate to address the liver/kidney function. Liver Life and fresh squeezed lemons are great for this. You can test your first morning urine pH to see if you are draining acids efficiently, it should be acidic at 5.5-6.2. Once the bowels are moving daily, liver/kidney function is optmized and acids are draining efficiently, adding in detox agents will be much better tolerated as the organs of elimination are open and ready to filter the toxins efficiently. Aggravations during detox mean that you are getting rid of more toxins than the organs can comfortably excrete. So you optimize their function and start detox agents at a low dose ramping up as tolerated. And if you do give too high a dose and experience detox reactions, activated charcoal is an amazing way to mitigate the detox reactions. It soaks up those excess acids that are released.

I tried milk thistle at 75mg and had breathing issues. All my bad reactions to herbals manifest itself in a very very dizzy/brain fog followed by the inability to breath. It has nothing to do with my lungs, my lungs are clear and a PFT was perfect. It is something related to either allergic type but not full blown IgE attack or something else unrelated. The only clue I hve to this is that my pulse ox would drop when I continue treatment that isn't right for me AKA b12. And to dangerous levels I might add. Kind of scared to try liver life since it contains Milk thistle seeds. I guess I could try a dro p or two or a very low dose of it if it works. Better than nothing.

Hope this helps.
TamiW

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi powertool,

I think Tami's advice about charcoal was very good. I use it and also psyllium husk to keep my bowels moving as regularly as possible. I think you need the right balance between the dosage of Nystatin and charcoal, which I guess is a question of experimentation. I am currently taking nystatin together with probiotic bacteria and this seems more effective than nystatin alone.

In my case, I have realised that this candida is never going away, so I am just taking a low dose of nystatin to knock it on the head continuously and try to keep the level of it under control.

When I get palpitations and that suffocating feeling, the only thing I have found that helps is to drink vast amounts of water. I try to do this all the time anyway, as it really helps the body flush out the toxins that candida produces.

Also, I would stick to the diet. Have you eliminated tea and coffee altogether? Apart from irritating the intestine, they make it very hard to tolerate a low carb diet as they affect the way your body releases glycogen. The best help I got with this diet was the Atkins book - the first chapters are all about how to get your body producing ketones so you can make maximum use of fat for energy, without needing the carbs. You need to get the right types of fat - some will be useful for energy, some will place extra strain on your liver (methylation) and poison you.

Finally, on the liver issue, I found this website very helpful:
http://www.liverdoctor.com/
She explains a lot of things that put extra strain on your liver, (e.g. which fats are good and which are bad) which I was unaware of, and I found that avoiding these things helped me. She suggests various "liver flush" drinks based on herbs etc and she tells you when/how to use them safely (i.e. not too often because they give your liver extra work).

bertiedog

The doc who prescribed nystatin for me said that your reaction to it was almost "a diagnostic" for candida. He had a lot of experience with it. I DID get major die off--horrible--and he told me to back off to a level where I didn't get more than a tiny amount of die-off, then very slowly increase the dose. Course different docs may do things in different ways, but this seemed to work. He did not advise pushing through as it is too taxing on the body.

I know this is an old thread but I am suffering from the Nystatin which I think must have given me major die off because I was getting daily migraine type heads from one capsule first off twice daily and then after a couple of days I moved up to 3 times daily but I got a killer migraine so haven't taken any today. The pain is easing at least after 2 days.

I know it was killing yeasts because I did check my stool (sorry about that) and it was very obvious that the Nystatin was working but that was on 3 times a day. Obviously I cannot stay at that dose with these daily migraines and wondered whether it would be best to restart tomorrow with just one capsule before bed and stick at that for say 5 days before upping it again.

The G I Effects test I had done early in the year said I had a +4 issue and the Organic Acid test showed high Arabinose so its definitely systemic.

Thanks Pam

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@bertiedog I think you answered your own question when you said that you couldn’t continue having these terrible migraines. Is your doctor giving you any guidance here on dosing the nystatin? My doctor did know from experience that you can slowly build up the dose though nystatin just doesn’t work for some people.

@bertiedog That's interesting that the Nystatin affected your head and gave you migraines (and horrible, sorry you are getting them!)

I came on here to ask if anyone experienced a similar reaction to me - I was prescribed the powder a year or so ago and told to start with half a teaspoon in water ( no idea of the dosage but it was low)

Knowing how I often react to meds I tried just a quarter TSP and within 10 minutes had to lie flat to avoid passing out from dizziness and tremendous pressure in my head. I decreased the dosage until I could finally tolerate just a few grains of the powder once a day. Right now I'm once again attempting the mold detox, been on it 3 months and decided to try the (now out of date) Nystatin again. Same reaction.

I just wondered if anyone else had such a sudden reaction? Could die off happen so quickly?

My CDSA picked up only a small amount of Candida, but I lived for 3 years in a very damp and moody cottage. I don't have any of the usual gut symptoms if I fall off the wagon and eat sugar/carbs (no bloating etc) it all just seems to be in my head, brain fog, dizziness. Mind you, just like the Nystatin those symptoms occur very quickly after eating the forbidden foods..... I think I may have answered my own question...