• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA/NIH XMRV paper ON HOLD

pollycbr125

Cort posted this on the email alter thread

Originally Posted by Cort
I think all we have are little drabs unfortunately.

I think Dr. Alter has very good personal reasons to get out his study. His name is all over the Internet in a not very complimentary way. His peers are surely wondering what's going on. He's apparently withdrawn his paper for publication...for his own sake he needs to be able to verify his work and come up with a positive result. I'm sure that he's sweating bullets right now - no researcher wants to be put in the position where his work is publicly disavowed by his own funder....He has a lot of good reasons to make this right.(post 20)

my comment
Cort a lot of folk are under the impression that this paper is witheld from publication not withdrawn . Are you saying that the paper has been withdrawn totally and if so can we have clarification of this ie via a link or something(post 23)

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sho...Dr-Alter/page2

Otis

Señor Mumbler
What Kurt said.

That is how it really works.

There is no need to get all worked up over unproductive conspiracy theories.

I agree withheld is a better term.

The CAA has posted this address you can use to register your dismay about the Alter paper being put on hold.

olib@od.nih.gov

They also stated on their Facebook site that they are pushing for the immediate publication of the paper.

Here's a petition as well

http://healthcare.change.org/petitio...ce_to_progress

Cort,

Perhaps you can paste in a link to the CAA statement pushing for immediate publicaton of the NIH paper. I'm probably right at it but Paul Bunyan has embedded an an in my forehead. OK, it just feels that way.

Thanks,
Otis

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
The CFIDS Association of America As we have since the Lombardi study was published in October 2009, the CFIDS Association of America has actively promoted studies that seek to validate and confirm the association of XMRV in CFS. We are working with several investigators who have studies under way. Publication of study data in top-flight peer-reviewed journals is essential to advancing our understanding of the role that XMRV plays in CFS, and we are actively advocating for publication of the study conducted by NIH/FDA as swiftly as possible. Circulating rumors and leaks have been a consistent problem, contributing to tension. We're trying to get verifiable information about the discrepant reports about the NIH/FDA study; please give us a little more time to do that.

3 hours ago Like Flag
http://www.facebook.com/CFIDSAssn?v=wall&story_fbid=106613652724787

Sorry about the bad link to the petition - I'm trying to find a good one.