• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA and NIH confirm WPI XMRV findings (report of leaked presentation)

jeffrez

Still, though, WPI percentages are very high, so I think this is going to be it! yaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooo

The association is very high, it could be very likely. I'm just saying (or, the studies actually are saying) that it's not yet proved to be the cause. It could be, for example, that exposure to a certain kind of cosmic ray causes CFS, and then because our immune systems are fucked up from the cosmic rays, it's then very easy for us to get XMRV. That doesn't mean yet that XMRV causes CFS. XMRV could be totally harmless, except for prostate cancer risk.

Navid

Originally Posted by kurt
In print at a closed conference is NOT the same as published. That information was not intended for public announcement. Therefore this is preliminary, and until a paper or public announcement appears, announced by proper channels, this is still a rumor.

Sorry, but I don't believe a copy of a conference presentation by Dr. Harvey Alter of the NIH could be in any way considered a rumor.

kurt...please give it a rest. let us feel happy that there may finally be a major breathru in this horrendous disease. why are you protesting sooo much!!!!

"It feels like that to me now. The more she shouts, the more she insults, the more likely her work will fall into ruin and her work will lie in the science rubble heap."martlet quote

looks like someone owes judy m a huge apology. this statement was incredibly rude when it was first made but in light of what we have learned today it is really depressing that a cfid's support group board moderator made such a insulting remark about the woman whose research may finally lead us to recovery.

CBS

Now, CBS, you do real good, but give me some credit. I already put up his Wikipedia page. I get to put up new / important information so rarely.

I usually just comment on what others find.

Tina

Tina,

My bad. I'll edit my post to point to yours.

CBS

I've been following on my phone cause I've been out tonight. So frustrating I couldn't post. Been partying in my head all night though...

:victory::D :victory::cool::victory::D:victory:

:sofa:

jeffrez

throw me a bone MrKite, let me be a little overly excited?

Be excited if you want, but just realize that it's premature. I know if I went to any doctor with this information, they would still say the same thing: that there's nothing they can do because there is still no proof that XMRV causes CFS. Which is true. Then they would continue implying it was some kind of psychological malady or defect.

usedtobeperkytina

As many of you know, I am in the news media business.

I don't know much about how news media works in Netherlands. But usually, reporters go snooping with intuition. Then they just stumble across something. They just keep coming back (if they have the time and resources to pursue it). They get a person to leak them information. And then they get confirmation (in document or second firsthand source). Then, they call someone at that agency to say, "We have this information and we are going forward with the story. We would like your comment."

Sometimes, at that point, a reporter may be asked to hold it. It depends on the public right to know and need to know at that time compared to the benefits of waiting or harm done to release at that time as to whether the reporters go forward or hold back. Not long ago, we had case where New York Times held story of US bugging folks without judge order. They held the story for a year, at the request of Pentagon, I think. But they finally decided that it was time.

So, I can imagine these reporters had been following the XMRV, talking to researchers. And that led them to the conference and someone leaked them the Alter presentation document. So they called the Dutch blood supply folks and said, "We have this and are going forward with the story, do you have a comment on the danger to blood supply?"

So, the Dutch blood supply folks decided they needed to get ahead of the story and release it themselves in a press release. Do we really think they just found out about this today or last week if the comments are from May 26 and 27?

So why now? Possibly, study about to come out (in print now) and two nosy reporters said they were going to release it before that.

Of course, this is speculation. Isn't this fun?

But I have to get something to eat. And I have to write two articles tonight myself.

Tina

V99

I posted on the comments section of the infamous BMJ xmrv podcast.

Name give = ME
comment = now do you believe us

Wonko

Be excited if you want, but just realize that it's premature. I know if I went to any doctor with this information, they would still say the same thing: that there's nothing they can do because there is still no proof that XMRV causes CFS. Which is true. Then they would continue implying it was some kind of psychological malady or defect.
afaik there is no proof that smoking causes lung cancer - a very strong correlation but no proof - pretty sure the correlation isnt 98% either (ie that 98% of people that smoke get lung cancer)

proof is a subjective term outside of mathematics