• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anti-XMRV Blog -New post

V99

The arguments that the student has used are nothing new, and have been voiced by others, so this thread would not exist if it wasn't for her insults and foul language. Personally, I would describe her as a manipulative, impatient child.

justinreilly

One of the criticisms of ERV in this thread (and others) is that the writing on her blog is rude and disrespectful, etc. But in this thread, more than one poster has said ERV is childish, mentally disturbed, a troll, and I don't even know what else.

How does this help us? Doesn't this thread bear a resemblance to some of ERV's posts and the comments on her blog? Critiques of ERV's posts would be stronger if they stick to substantive issues. Otherwise, the back and forth is just personal sniping: ERV says something nasty and people respond by calling her names. Does anyone think this approach is productive or helpful?

I do. She is a troll- deliberately picking on and trying to rile up already persecuted sick people. This type of person doesn't deserve any consideration imo.

Martlet

I do. She is a troll- deliberately picking on and trying to rile up already persecuted sick people. This type of person doesn't deserve any consideration imo.

Moderator: All persons deserve consideration in this forum. Or at least they deserve not to be torn apart and insulted. My suggestion is that if people feel a need to argue with someone's blog on another site, that they do so on that other site. Our concern is with what happens here, so please don't force moderators to have to step in and do our thing. Argue on points, not on personalities.

akrasia

I think Coffin and Ruscetti were lied to by Judy and Annette, either purposefully or because those two women are fantastically stupid. In any case, I do expect Dr. Ruscetti to send an apology to Dr. van Kuppeveld, now that he knows the real deal with the Dutch samples.

Well, Ok, Jenny let's debate this. I'll start. If Judy and Annette pulled a fast one on John Coffin and Frank Ruscetti, I'd say they were damned clever. Wouldn't you?

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
Moderator: All persons deserve consideration in this forum. Or at least they deserve not to be torn apart and insulted. My suggestion is that if people feel a need to argue with someone's blog on another site, that they do so on that other site. Our concern is with what happens here, so please don't force moderators to have to step in and do our thing. Argue on points, not on personalities.

Is ERV a member of Phoenix Rising? I thought the Forum rules were developed to govern interpersonal interactions between members, not our assessments of public figures. Am I missing something?

At any rate, I advise folks to copy ERV's blog entries to their hard drives as soon as she posts them. When she finishes her PhD and looks for work, she'll probably delete her blog archives lest they fall into the hands of potential employers. No reputable university or research institute would hire someone who's taken such an unprofessional tone.

Another constructive thing we can do is build an air-tight case proving her identity. I mean, do we know for sure that her real name's Abbie Smith?

Martlet

I thought the Forum rules were developed to govern interpersonal interactions between members, not our assessments of public figures. Am I missing something?

There is a little part of section 1 of the rules that reads:

Critiques of individuals or organizations should be done in the spirit of constructive discourse; simply dumping on a person or organization is not conducive to the kind of conversation we strive for.

Another constructive thing we can do is build an air-tight case proving her identity. I mean, do we know for sure that her real name's Abbie Smith?

I would also be careful there because she might build an air-tight case for harassment!

jspotila

I think Coffin and Ruscetti were lied to by Judy and Annette, either purposefully or because those two women are fantastically stupid. In any case, I do expect Dr. Ruscetti to send an apology to Dr. van Kuppeveld, now that he knows the real deal with the Dutch samples.

Well, Ok, Jenny let's debate this. I'll start. If Judy and Annette pulled a fast one on John Coffin and Frank Ruscetti, I'd say they were damned clever. Wouldn't you?

There's not much to debate, akrasia. The quote from ERV you used is a perfect example of the kind of insults and spurious accusations that I believe have no place in serious discussions about CFS research.

justinreilly

Is ERV a member of Phoenix Rising? I thought the Forum rules were developed to govern interpersonal interactions between members, not our assessments of public figures. Am I missing something?

At any rate, I advise folks to copy ERV's blog entries to their hard drives as soon as she posts them. When she finishes her PhD and looks for work, she'll probably delete her blog archives lest they fall into the hands of potential employers. No reputable university or research institute would hire someone who's taken such an unprofessional tone.

Good idea, imo. never hurts to build a record of the misdeeds against us.

Martlet

So is it ok to harass a group of people?

Just consider carefully. What would you do if you knew that someone was downloading everything you write and then trying to hunt you down to discover your real identity with a view to depriving you - personally - of some future benefit? You would be forgiven for believing this person was stalking you. I really believe you are running very close to a very fine line between heated debate and legally actionable activity and am simply asking you to be careful - for your own sakes.

Sam Carter

Just consider carefully. What would you do if you knew that someone was downloading everything you write and then trying to hunt you down to discover your real identity with a view to depriving you - personally - of some future benefit? You would be forgiven for believing this person was stalking you. I really believe you are running very close to a very fine line between heated debate and legally actionable activity and am simply asking you to be careful - for your own sakes.

The identity of "offensive" bloggers is not legally protected in the US:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6801213.ece

V99

Who's trying to hunt who down? Oh you are referring to an earlier post, can't remember who posted it. That would not necessarily be harassment, it could just as easily be viewed as a legitimate complaint. Many journalists, for instance, have been reported to their employers for the same thing. As any written complaint would be made to the employer and not the employee, this would again make it unlikely to be seen as harassment.

In the UK harassment is, two or more incidents that a reasonable person would deem to be inappropriate.

One letter would therefore not be harassment in the UK. No idea what the law is in the USA?

muffin

AGAIN, ignore this nasty little idiot child!

She is NOT anyone worth discussing. She's a kid in grad school and not one of the real adult enemies. Enough on this stupid kid already.

Let's go back to bashing the idiots at the CDC, Wessely/White crowd, and others who really have done a major number on ALL of us for the last 30 years. This kid just writes stupid grad school chatter.

What we really need to do is to work on removing the Wessle/White crowd in the Uk; forcing the US Congress and other Fed orgs to investigate WHY CFIDS has not received the attention and funding it should have had going back to the Incline Village Cluster; insisting that budgets for research be increased significantly, both here in the US and in all other countries; and the list goes on and on as we all know. Beating on an idiot child doesn't make the list.

Martlet

In the UK harassment is, two or more incidents that a reasonable person would deem to be inappropriate.

Wouldn't you deem it inappropriate if someone had saved your every word while at university, only to send them to potential employers later? Or even if they saved every word you had ever written in anger on the internet?

Well, we could argue this point forever but I am still going to stick with "be careful."

V99

The internet is only the internet, it is not everything. Google do that anyway.