1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!

My Opinion on Conspiracies

Blog entry posted by alex3619, Jan 18, 2012.

I am posting this as a blog as I intend to use it to launch a series of blogs detailing a range of related issues. This is in preparation for my investigating some specific issues in-depth, but which I will not blog about. Instead I intend writing an article or perhaps a book. Alternatively I might start my own website - this material is too in-depth and specific to be covered in full on this website, as the purpose of this site is different from where I will be heading on this over time. It does not mean that the issues are irrelevant, so I do intend to update my blogs on this from time to time just not in as much detail.
alex3619

About the Author

I am a long term ME patient with many complications. While I have pushed research advocacy since 1993, I became political around 2009. My current project is a book called "Embracing Uncertainty". Uncertainty in medical science seems anathema to too many doctors. "I do not know" is something more doctors should be honest about.
  1. oceanblue
    Hi oceanblue, my half written sequel to this blog is about just that, although I think it will go beyond that. Unfortunately it is not easy to go deeply into it, for that there are many other sources. If I find a really good link I will post it. Bye, Alex

http://wn.com/Critical_Rationalism#
    First of a series of You-Tube videos that explain falsification. If you like the game Skyrim, watch the Skyrim version. These videos are on critical rationalism, based on the work on Karl Popper. There are other views. Be warned that as part of this item 7 includes a proposed philosophy linking rationality to incremental change in belief. This may or may not have validity. So far I can only recommend 1, 2, and 6. I am still looking at them, one every few hours.
    Thanks, look forward to the next blog.
  2. SilverbladeTE
    Alex
    *nod*
    I think best example of the more..."bias, head in sand, immovability, I don't want ot hear this!" type of "conspiracy" you reffer ot a bit, is best shown by Stoye's seeming behaviour at CROI: completely unscientific and ludicrously biased (laughing it off, belittling the topic of XMRV/MLV etc, plus many folk involved weren't even invited!)

another issue if it's vaccine related will be there will be those who use the following excuse to cover it all up:
    "Just think of the good of Science! It will destroy the good name of science and all we hold dear!"
  3. alex3619
    Hi oceanblue, my half written sequel to this blog is about just that, although I think it will go beyond that. Unfortunately it is not easy to go deeply into it, for that there are many other sources. If I find a really good link I will post it. Bye, Alex

http://wn.com/Critical_Rationalism#
    First of a series of You-Tube videos that explain falsification. If you like the game Skyrim, watch the Skyrim version. These videos are on critical rationalism, based on the work on Karl Popper. There are other views. Be warned that as part of this item 7 includes a proposed philosophy linking rationality to incremental change in belief. This may or may not have validity. So far I can only recommend 1, 2, and 6. I am still looking at them, one every few hours.
  4. alex3619
    Hi Snow Leopard, on the last census my religion was Pancritical Rationalism.

On the falsification comment I disagree - you don't have to have a belief to falsify something, you have a testable hypothesis. Indeed one of the reasons to falsify it is to show it is not worthy of believing in. In any case, no scientific hypothesis should be believed. They are all working hypotheses, they can all be replaced if the right data comes along.

I also call myself a pragmatic rationalist. I have yet to investigate the crossover between my version of pragmatic rationalism and pancritical rationalism.

I still have not read Retreat To Commitment, I haven't got a copy. I have only read some essays on the topic. It was pointed out to me on PR that my position was similar, which is why I became interested.

Another influence on me was the easy to read treatise on science, The Tree of Knowledge, by Maturana and Varela. I have a system theoretic background in addition to a philosophy (well, logic anyway) background.

Bye, Alex
  5. oceanblue
    Will you be expanding later on falsification vs verification? It strikes me that the Lipkin study is better than the BWG study but not necessarily in a different class: both test the researchers' ability to distinguish blinded patients from controls, and ability to reproduce results from multiple identical samples from the same patient. But even then the test is of the researchers' assays, not XMRV itself. I thought that in Science usually only surefire way to prove that X isn't the cause is by proving that Y is instead.
  6. Snow Leopard
    On the philosophy tip, are you familiar with pancritical rationalism? There was an interesting book by WW Bartley, though it has not been nearly as influential is it could have been.

Remember, falsification in itself is useless as you must have belief in something to merit the potential of falsification in the first place...
  7. alex3619
    Hi Silverblade, there are plenty of horrific Science Fiction stories about just that. Information is power - ergo who controls the most information has the most power? This is not a valid statement as an inference, but I think its a valid hypothesis.

The point I am trying to make, is that conspiracies for the most part are due to other things than secret cabals, even including rumour mongering at the exclusive mens club for the super elite. Its about influence. Its not criminal. It doesn't violate standards .... it is the standard. That doesn't stop it from being immoral and sometimes unethical. You are also right in that fear of being caught can drive some to the next step - illegality.

Bye, Alex
  8. SilverbladeTE
    Conspiracies are more often "general pushes/desires", rarely do they get more "precise" and when they do, they can get very nasty, often opst of the criminality occurs due to the FEAR of exposure or a screw up, for example, Watergate.

Powerful people we will never hear of, meet up in exclusive clubs, take over remote resorts etc, and lesser but still powerful scions meet up in more public venues for example, "banquets with state leaders" or other social events.
    At such, they debate trends, methods ot screw over the markets, evade tax, bribe politicians so their chosen agendas get put through.
    Varities of this exist throughout the world and all systems, including, liek it or not, science.

Science though has less manipulation in general for bunch of reasons, but the medical end IS grossly, dangerously corrupt.
    Pharma corps have the population literally by the balls: "buy our murderously over priced anti-cancer drug, or DIE!"
    Those in power only care about keeping power, keepign their wealth and screwing anything that gets in way of that, no matter the risk/stupidity etc.
    They would rather be princes of a wasteland, than citizens in a utopia, to paraphrase an old saying ;)
    To them, any harm/risk of ME are nothing compared to profit/power/keeping the status quo

Thus while the practical facts of the vaccine or retroviral possible caustions of ME will take time to sort out, for 30 odd years these bastards I reffer to HAVE been influencing the situation, and you have to ask; WHY?!
    And yes, they, the "Powers Behind the Throne" are involved, please note how Wessely and several others involved in this, keep cropping up in OTHER contentious areas; organophosphate poisoning; mobile phone cancer risks; Gulf War Syndrome etc etc
    "once is an accident, twice coincidence, three times...they are the "go to men", the pundits for folk who want some things to GO AWAY"

WHY?
    because they fear or know there is a threat to their "system", doesn't matter to them if it's real or not, merely the possibility of upset/change must be quashed.
    If vaccines are shown excessively harmful, or worse, contain retorviri, then the merde will hit the fan, and they will not allow that.
    Should such be shown as fact, the outrage, the lawsuits, governments left holding the insurance can (governments took idemnity for them, wonderful con!)...wow Biggest mess in history.

These people do not use Hollywood style silly "hit squads!" and other such nonsense, no, they can "arrange" for folk to get moved around in positions, folk to be told to "hush up or lose tenure/pensions", those they like get funded, those they don't lose funding, and so on
    all by whispers, by suggestions over brandy or golf...

Note the incredible corruption exposed in UK recently, and way the music/movie corporations basically own the US Congress into pushing through obscene laws that turn the" land of the Free" into a police state (eventually such always gets abused and runs away into ugliness, hard fact of history), these things do NOT "help artists" they help corporations dominate and screw artists and ordinary people.
    One of my faves was a US singer in a hit group, the record company made $4 million from her work, she only got $40,000..she was p*ssed and encouraged folk to pirate her work, because who's the worst thieves of all?
    And when you control knowledge, ah, that is power! They want ABSOLUTE CONTROL. Worst menace we've ever created, make Stalin, Hitler etc look like chumps :/

When such scumbags gets to control of your body, your very life, never mind music or film, the stakes are so high, that the obscene SOBs who lust after power do sit up and take notice, do order their henchmen to act, again, not my "crazy film-style mayhem" but by obfuscation
    He who controls your health, controls YOU
    These people/corporations have their finger in many pies, pushing and stirring, and are in bed with other scumbags, like media barons.
    Note how often some drug is announced by the media empires as "WONDER CURE FOR CANCER!", stocks of company go up...sales boom...years later it's often shown to have been a sham, or dangerous.

We are smothered by a blanker of bullshit, not "CIA super spooks" :p
    See how Dr Kerr was treated, and many many others.
    By closing doors on funding, by letting it be known by whispers to the heads of universities funding comittees that "this topic is not wanted to be dealt with from on high", they achieve their aims.

The "Scientific Method" is great! :)
    The "Human Race" however, sucks sucks monkey ass :p

PS
    off topic-ish
    Alex, see they are re-making "SYNDICATE" computer game?
    touches on this in a very dangerous way, fiction but the original had a wonderful and scary proposition:
    if in the future, everyone is directly wired into a cyber-connection via neural implant, allowing web browsing, even artificial reality projected right into the brain.
    he who controls the implants, and thus controls all the person sees/hears, and thus controls the world....
  9. markmc20001
    Yep, funny about propaganda. Many people in the USA are still believing it....

I agree incompetence abounds in todays world.
  10. jimells
    I believe a key concept when thinking about complex conspiracies is that the likely conspirators are usually too incompetent to pull them off.

markmc, your comments about Russia remind me of stories I've read about the old USSR, where folks watched state TV with amusment, knowing that everything they saw was a lie. The difference between USSR propaganda and USA propaganda is that most Americans watch TV and think it's the truth.