1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!

Comment on the planned study of Interferon-alpha induced Fatigue

Blog entry posted by oceanblue, Jan 4, 2012.

Taken from the thread: Carmine Pariante's MRC research award-Persistent fatigue induced by interferon-alpha

1. otterwatcher
    I was successfully treated for hep c 8 years ago with these drugs and developed CFS as a direct consequence.
  2. oceanblue
    A paper by Chantal H, Castra L, Demotes-Mainard J, "Hepatitis C and interferon: Watch for hostility, impulsivity," says:

"Pegylated interferon-alpha with ribavirin is the most effective therapy for chronic hepatitis C infection, but psychiatric patients often discontinue IFN-alpha because of its mood side effects."

"IFN-induced mood disorders improved rapidly on low dosages of amisulpride, and antiviral therapy discontinuation rates were low (4%). By comparison, other studies have reported antiviral treatment discontinuation rates of 30% to 40% in patients taking antidepressants."

So low doses of amisulpride may be of use during interferon therapy.

Low dose amisulpride is also of general benefit in ME/CFS, a preliminary study showed. Ref: here.

Interestingly, when I tried 12.5 mg of amisulpride daily for my own ME/CFS symptoms, amisulpride more-or-less eliminated my chronic sore throat symptoms while I was taking this drug.

Amisulpride is not licensed in the US at present (though can of course be obtained legally from overseas suppliers).
    Thanks very much for that.
  3. oceanblue
    Well this is a new experience for me. Embarrassing but true! I have just subscribed also Ocean. Got the link from Cort's latest Ottawa coverage and your comment there.

Interesting stuff above. Thanks. Now I can understand where my Live Bookmarks are found on this darn machine I should be able to stay tuned!

Look forward to reading more.
    Wow, thanks, I'll have to write some more blogs now! I've only just found your comment as I don't seem to have subscribed to my own blog...

nb blog now updated, see above.
  4. Hip
    Regarding the problem of depression symptoms getting greatly ramped up during alpha interferon treatment:

The French drug amisulpride (an atypical anti-psychotic) has been shown to mitigate the depression symptoms that can arise with interferon treatment.

This may be of considerable benefit during interferon treatment

A paper by Chantal H, Castra L, Demotes-Mainard J, "Hepatitis C and interferon: Watch for hostility, impulsivity," says:

"Pegylated interferon-alpha with ribavirin is the most effective therapy for chronic hepatitis C infection, but psychiatric patients often discontinue IFN-alpha because of its mood side effects."

"IFN-induced mood disorders improved rapidly on low dosages of amisulpride, and antiviral therapy discontinuation rates were low (4%). By comparison, other studies have reported antiviral treatment discontinuation rates of 30% to 40% in patients taking antidepressants."

So low doses of amisulpride may be of use during interferon therapy.

Low dose amisulpride is also of general benefit in ME/CFS, a preliminary study showed. Ref: here.

Interestingly, when I tried 12.5 mg of amisulpride daily for my own ME/CFS symptoms, amisulpride more-or-less eliminated my chronic sore throat symptoms while I was taking this drug.

Amisulpride is not licensed in the US at present (though can of course be obtained legally from overseas suppliers).
  5. Firestormm
    Well this is a new experience for me. Embarrassing but true! I have just subscribed also Ocean. Got the link from Cort's latest Ottawa coverage and your comment there.

Interesting stuff above. Thanks. Now I can understand where my Live Bookmarks are found on this darn machine I should be able to stay tuned!

Look forward to reading more.
  6. Dolphin
    Thanks, Dolphin :D First time I've tried blogging a post and was surprised to see it got a lot more views than the thread I originally posted on!Wow, that is a huge amount of views alright. If those are individual people who generally read what you wrote, it's a lot of people. Your name caught my eye - I usually don't see blog entries. Maybe I should check them out more.
  7. oceanblue
    Thanks, Dolphin :D First time I've tried blogging a post and was surprised to see it got a lot more views than the thread I originally posted on!
  8. Dolphin
    Oceanblue,

Good to see you've started a blog. You've posted lots of intelligent and informative messages to the forums since you joined. I've just subscribed to your blog so I don't miss anything (i.e. hint to others! note: oceanblue didn't suggest I post or anything)