I have been wanting to explain the general terms for the "normal" and newbies people.
Brain fog, we all experience it differently, but I will give you examples so you can identify it or understand you loved ones.
I have different levels of mental capacity depending how bad the brain fog is, and this differ from day to day and even through out the day, The more I do physically, the less I can do mentally.
If you can Add in your case, how does brain fog feels like, I would appreciate it.
- First thing is brain processing time is slower than normal. I still know the same things but they are like buried in oatmeal in brain and I have to swim mentally through it to find the answer. The most common one is understand a question: Let's say you ask me what is my date of birth: The first thing is I hear the question and I try to make sense of what you just said. Is like when you used to have french in school and you hear a sentence and you pick up some words and you try to make sense of what was just said to you. You get one word here and there but the whole sentence is like in a forgotten language and you need the person to repeat themselves just to make sure that you got the question.
- Memory: Once I understand the question, it takes me a while to find it in brain. You go through the same motions of normal person but things that you can access to your brain in milliseconds, it takes me up to a minute for me to find. Then you start freaking out because "wow I just cannot remember when I was born, what is wrong with me, I know this!!! " and when the person keeps talking, you haven't even recovered from the first question.
- Concentration: In my personal case. I can only follow one train of thought. If you start a simple story with only one character and one scenario I follow ok. If you add more than one character and different situations which I have to maintain in brain to understand the whole story, then I am lost.
- Calculation Speed: If you ask me 2+2, is the same as if I ask you square root of 264. You start like Ok how do I do square root again, then once you remember you try to find the number, then you try to calculate. On a good day you might even get 4 from me.
- Word retrieval: I am talking and when I try to remember words is impossible to find in brain. Some people say one word instead of another. In my case I just draw a blank.
- General malaise feeling in brain: For me is like a buzzing and like brain is swollen, I feel like somebody blows a balloon inside my head and sometimes it gets too full. I also Have like a high pitch noise, like tv static or crickets in brain. Get a weird pain that only lasts seconds at the time, the pain is like more a acid burning, sometimes stabbing like with something sharp and hot.
- Some say it feels like day to day stuff feels like trying to do math test while drunk.
Brain Fog: How does it feel like and implications
Blog entry posted by lnester7, Jul 23, 2012.