1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!

Blog entries from alex3619

alex3619 has a total of 36 entries.

1. alex3619
    Part One Change all the labels you want, those who want to misuse the terms will continue doing so. Those who promote the idea we have a dysfunctional belief system will say ME is just psychosomatic no matter what we call it - or what the World Health Organization calls it. They have been doing that for decades despite clear evidence, don't expect that to change. Its only easier because of the...
    alex3619, May 11, 2012
  2. alex3619
    WARNING: Philosophy Alert! The New Inquisition? Meet Monty Python. Are you a witch? We will tie your hands and feet then throw you in the water to see if you sink! If you do you were innocent, too bad. If you don't you are a witch, and we have ways to deal with witches. This was a very funny Monty Python skit. Its funny in part because it uses common reasoning - and common fallacies. "If...
    alex3619, Apr 23, 2012
  3. alex3619
    Philosophy of M.E.: If not Conspiracy, then What? Part One: Verificationism WARNING: Philosophy Alert! This is esoteric. It has points I am leading up to but might lose many people along the way. One of the things I am leading up to is a further discussion of the what I am calling the Dysfunctional Belief Model of CFS (DBM), or the Wessely school as its sometimes called. Its also referred...
    alex3619, Apr 23, 2012
  4. alex3619
    WARNING: Philosophy Alert! I intend to write a series of blogs giving the flavour of one line of argument in the book I am writing, though I am using many other lines of investigation as well. This is the view from a position of critical rationalism. Using different but well recognized philosophical stances it can be shown that there are major problems with psychogenic explanations of CFS....
    alex3619, Apr 20, 2012
  5. alex3619
    Continuing my review of Ghaemi's The Rise and Fall of the Biopsychosocial Model This is the final and most disappointing section of the book. I think this is largely because what is attempted here is beyond the scope of a section of a book, or indeed of an entire book. Instead its a promise that there is an alternative, and some esoteric reasons as to why this is so. It is vague and full of...
    alex3619, Feb 27, 2012
  6. alex3619
    (Part Two of My Review of the book by Ghaemi.) This section of the book is a lot less clear and less focussed. There is no transparent way to easily show how BPS has fallen. It is more the case that it has fallen, and the book articulates many ways in which this has happened. The single biggest problem that arises is this: BPS is a broad framework with little practical utility. It permits...
    alex3619, Feb 14, 2012
  7. alex3619
    Subtitle: Reconciling Art & Science in Psychiatry S. Nassir Ghaemi, M.D., M.P.H. The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2010 I have just finished reading part one of this book, called "The Rise of the Biopsychosocial Model". Part two which I am about to start is called "The Fall of the Biopsychosocial Model". According to Ghaemi, BPS has its origin in the theories of Freud. Earlier...
    alex3619, Feb 10, 2012
  8. alex3619
    This is a detour from my three-quarter written blog on another aspect of philosophy of science - but not much of a detour. It still addresses a topic on my long term agenda. We spend of lot of energy blaming people who do various things we don't like. In particular, private complaints about proponents of biopsychosocial (BPS) approaches including CBT/GET are a favourite passtime - I...
    alex3619, Jan 27, 2012
  9. alex3619
    There is a huge misconception, from my point of view, on all sides involving conspiracy. I am delving deeply into philosophy of science in regard to psychobabble, but a lot of it is still relevant to the XMRV debate. In practical terms research can be considered to come from competing communities of scientists, each with their own views. Science is adversarial between such groups, and...
    alex3619, Jan 18, 2012
  10. alex3619
    There is a blog entry describing the impact of the slashes to social support for the disabled in the UK. http://diaryofabenefitscrounger.blogspot.com/2012/01/start-of-my-campaigning-nowhere-to-turn.html?showComment=1326701039727#c1910446857344218273 I just launched the pacifists version of a nuclear hand grenade. Here is what I said: This situation is a disgrace for the UK. There are...
    alex3619, Jan 16, 2012
  11. alex3619
    Some time ago I made a series of complaints about failed postal service to my address. Most of these were rejected, but now I received a reply from a Senator. Essentially due to incapacity to travel, when mail was not delivered even though I was home waiting for it I had to take a series of taxis to pick it up from the post office. Thus the cost could be as high as $40 in addition to postage...
    alex3619, Jan 15, 2012
  12. alex3619
    There have been many models of ME and CFS over the years. There are a number of issues that seem underemphasised that I wish to make explicit. This is not a criticism of any of these models, its an analysis of issues common to many models. My first model was made about 1998, involving hypercitricemia. I presented it at the 1999 Sydney CFS conference as a poster. By 2000 it was apparent it...
    alex3619, Dec 14, 2011
  13. alex3619
    I have in mind a horror story. Imagine a world in which an insidious disease creeps through the population. It defies conventional medical techniques, baffles the medical community, and it creeps so slowly that it is hard to even be sure it is a pandemic. Those who investigate frequently find nothing, decade after decade, and those sick with it are ignored by doctors because they frequently...
    alex3619, Dec 12, 2011
  14. alex3619
    None of these are original. Somebody else has said them all. They are heuristics, rules of thumb, which means they are only guides not laws set in stone. They should be considered opinion. These are the kinds of things you often find at the bottom of day calendars on office desks. I am a sceptic with direction - I don't have time to be sceptical of everything, but I would like to. Scepticism...
    alex3619, Nov 6, 2011
  15. alex3619
    For those of you who have been following anciendaze's blogs on Moral Hazards, or who have an interest in systems theory, most of the issues on biopsychosocial models can be explained by local rewarding of activity, but not rewarding based on global outcomes. There is risk of this problem in any very distributed research or delivery system, but most individuals involved are not culpable in the...
    alex3619, Aug 20, 2011